What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power

N42AH

Well Known Member
I have a flying RV-10 with an unsupported VP-200.
I have upgraded just upgraded from a 430W to an Avidyne IDF440.
The configuration in the VP-200 for the com is set as a 10 amp breaker and the nav side is set for a 3 amp breaker as was required by the 430W.
On the nav side the 3 amp is insufficient and needs to be either a 7.5 or 10 amp configuration.
The pin information is J4 P7
When I try to manually change the breaker value in the VP-200 configuration to a larger number/value it will not allow that and only allow me to go down in value. 3 amps down to 1 amp.
How do I allow or configure the pin to allow a value greater than 3 amps? Or can I?

Thanks for the VP education

VP-200 pins all have specific amp limits - most are 5A, some are 10, a few are 18, and one is 3. Pin J4-7 is the lone 3A pin. You will need to change to a different pin.

The VP load planning worksheet lists all the pin configs.

I have a flying RV-10 with an unsupported VP-200.
I have upgraded just upgraded from a 430W to an Avidyne IDF440.
The configuration in the VP-200 for the com is set as a 10 amp breaker and the nav side is set for a 3 amp breaker as was required by the 430W.
On the nav side the 3 amp is insufficient and needs to be either a 7.5 or 10 amp configuration.
The pin information is J4 P7
When I try to manually change the breaker value in the VP-200 configuration to a larger number/value it will not allow that and only allow me to go down in value. 3 amps down to 1 amp.
How do I allow or configure the pin to allow a value greater than 3 amps? Or can I?

Thanks for the VP education

Steve, If the VP-200 is like the VPX, each pin has a physical amp limitation that should be in your documentation. I suspect that the pin J4 P7 is one of the lower amperage pins but you need to check to be sure. You can assign a amp value up to or lower but not above. Also check your wiring size to make sure you can accommodate the increase in amps. Hope this helps.

VP-200

Thanks gentlemen
That was kinda what I was suspecting.
Unfortunately all my pins are full so I may have to go outside of the VP-200 with a switch....grrr

Thanks gentlemen
That was kinda what I was suspecting.
Unfortunately all my pins are full so I may have to go outside of the VP-200 with a switch....grrr

If you have a device that doesn't need greater than 3A, you could just physically swap the pins and then reassign them in the setup. Or you could rewire and put 2 or more devices on a singe pin to free one up.

Last edited:
Steve, if you analyze your pins you might find you are using a higher amperage pin for a lower amperage purpose and just swap some wires around. Looking at my worksheet the things I see using 3 or less amps are:

SL30 Nav
Engine Monitor
Camera
Angle of Attack
AP Head
Cabin Lights (LED)

Most of these are using pin capable of 5 amps, but one is using pin capable of 10 amps. So in my case I would just swap these wires, of course confirming the wire size is sufficient for the 7.5 amps needed for the IF440.

You might have a similar possibility.

Swap the assignment of the pins via software

I believe that you can configure the pin assignments in the software, rather than physically swapping pins.

Do that either on the Planning Tool and then download for install, or directly to the VP via a data link from a PC.

I believe that you can configure the pin assignments in the software, rather than physically swapping pins.

Do that either on the Planning Tool and then download for install, or directly to the VP via a data link from a PC.

That won't work in the VP 200 -- it doesn't configure the same way the VP-X does. You can't change the max amps for the pins via setup (that limit is hardwired in)--you can select a lower amp, change the name of the pin, set alarms, and govern some aspects as to how the pin behaves. However, the physical wire to the device has to be moved (relatively easy to do) from one pin position in the connector to another to actually change the devices assignment from one pin to the next. IOW changing the pin's name in setup won't actually change the device the pin is physically wired to.

Last edited:
Back