What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OT: Discovery HD "One Six Right"

Brantel

Well Known Member
Discovery HD is going to run "One Six Right: The Romance of Flying" starting on Christmas Day.

Schedule on Discovery HD Theater

(All times are Eastern Standard Time)

One Six Right: The Romance of Flying g

DEC 25 2006
@ 08:00 PM

DEC 25 2006
@ 11:00 PM

DEC 26 2006
@ 03:00 AM

DEC 26 2006
@ 04:00 PM

DEC 31 2006

DEC 31 2006
@ 05:00 PM

JAN 01 2007
@ 01:30 PM

JAN 02 2007
@ 01:30 AM

JAN 06 2007

JAN 07 2007

JAN 07 2007
@ 04:30 AM

JAN 14 2007
@ 09:00 PM

JAN 15 2007
@ 12:00 AM

JAN 15 2007

JAN 20 2007
@ 04:00 AM

Brian - Paul,

Hey thanks for the heads up. I am going to call the wife and make sure she preflights the TIVO to be ready for Take off. :)

What it's about! Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those that do not know about 'One Six Right' read this,,, please, worth watching!!!!

'One Six Right' is an exhilarating documentary film that celebrates the unsung hero of aviation - the local airport - by tracing the life, history, and struggles of an airport icon: Southern California's Van Nuys Airport. Featuring thrilling aerial photography and a sweeping original score, the film dispels common misconceptions and opposes criticism of General Aviation airports. Through the love story of one airport, past to present, the film shares the timeless romance of flying with all ages.

The film takes viewers on a journey of spectacular aerial sequences and tells a romantic story through the accounts of passionate pilots, air traffic controllers, historians and flight enthusiasts, including well-known faces such as Sydney Pollack, Lorenzo Lamas, Paul Moyer, Hal Fishman and many others. There is no off-screen narrator.

The film uncovers the rich history of this airport - Amelia Earhart broke a world speed record over its runways, Marilyn Monroe was discovered while working in its hangars, and scenes from Casablanca were filmed on its grounds. Almost every type of aircraft has graced its runways, from the primitive airplanes of the 1920's to the state-of-the-art business jets of today. Through the history of the Van Nuys Airport (VNY), the viewer comes to have a new appreciation for the significance of all General Aviation airports as a critical component of the communities they serve. Located in the heart of the San Fernando Valley, VNY is today the world's busiest General Aviation airport and contributes over $1 billion each year to the Southern California economy.

'One Six Right' explores common misconceptions about General Aviation airports, which are often criticized for noise pollution and viewed as exclusive playgrounds for the rich. The film creates an awareness of the threat to these community airports through staggering statistics of airports that no longer exist, and the rapid rate at which they are continuing to close (1 per week in the U.S.). Airports are not a renewable resource - these smaller and often forgotten airports are the foundation of the entire aviation industry, contributing significantly to global commerce and are the breeding ground of the pilots of tomorrow.

Last edited:
Only on Discovery HD? Not on low def Discovery?

We have "regular" satellite; am I out of luck?

I recently acquired a copy of "One Six Left" The Companion DVD. It contains the original breathtaking trailer "Into the Clouds" with music by Enya that originally promoted the video on the Internet. Simply stunning on my LCD big screen!

All those airplane shots are the real deal, for instance a highly seasoned helicopter pilot working with a passionate young filmmaker Brian Terwilliger who produced the movie, actually followed that DC-3 all the way into Van Nuys and thereby captured one of the most dramatic filmed moments in aviation.

The Companion DVD has many goodies in it....I actually prefer it to "One Six Right" including a very interesting 25 minute featurette on the making of "One Six Right". The Pitts footage is especially nice too. Check it out...you won't be disappointed.

We just got a new Sony SXRD XBR2 60" 1080P TV yesterday so it will really be exciting to watch

Roberta

robertahegy said:
We just got a new Sony SXRD XBR2 60" 1080P TV yesterday so it will really be exciting to watch

Roberta
Great... It's bad enough that I have RV and shop envy, now I have TV envy! :p ;) :D

I feel so "2005" with my 720P set. :)

Last edited:
It was absolutely AWESOME!!!! :D Almost as good as being there. The planes and the flying and the history.......!!!!!!!! I got it on DVR to show our neighbors when they get back. HDTV Rules!!!

Roberta

Was awesome!

Watched it last night on my 92" front projection screen, 720P projector!

All I can say is that was awesome! The video shots were just like being there!

There is a great message in this docudrama!

The AOPA and EAA need to mail a copy of this to all local government officials!

Recorded and watched it last night. Wonderful documentary. Looks great in high definition. I'm sure I'll watch it again with my building buddies.

I'm not usually negative

I bought the DVD and was very disappointed with the content. The original "trailer" I believe it is called with Enya was so special, so graceful, and beautiful it probably set the expectations too high. If I could get the traiter in an endless loop I would be able to easily double my exercise time on the treadmill. It is that enchanting.

Bob Axsom

Could not find it

I looked for it last night but could not find it. I have direct TV sat. I have a couple of discovery channels I think, but it was not there.

Does anyone know what channel it is on, on Direct TV?

With Direct TV, you need the HDTV package that includes Discovery HD Theater. Cable viewers also require a similar package.

Roberta

Bob Axsom said:
I bought the DVD and was very disappointed with the content. The original "trailer" I believe it is called with Enya was so special, so graceful, and beautiful it probably set the expectations too high. If I could get the traiter in an endless loop I would be able to easily double my exercise time on the treadmill. It is that enchanting. Bob Axsom
OK... so I'm not the only one. I really looked forward to watching it after all the hype and the "trailer". However, as much as I enjoyed the movie - I really felt it didn't live up to what I had expected. It seemed to me to be more of a propaganda movie made by the flying Hollywood-types trying to protect their landing strip. As a history buff, I enjoyed the film - and ALWAYS love to watch planes fly - but I actually enjoyed some of the DVD "extras" clips more - including the trailer. I would chase those sights and great sounds (sans dialogue) every day on my treadmill as well!

Alternately - Disneyland's "California Adventure" has a neat "ride" where you are suspended in front of a huge (think IMAX) screen while "flying" over many spectacular areas of California. While only about 5 or 6 minutes long... THAT is cool.

dj

Phyrcooler said:
Alternately - Disneyland's "California Adventure" has a neat "ride" where you are suspended in front of a huge (think IMAX) screen while "flying" over many spectacular areas of California. While only about 5 or 6 minutes long... THAT is cool.

dj

Soarin is a great ride! That is as close to flying as some people will ever get.

This film says more than Boyer or Pober ever could!

Brantel said:
Watched it last night on my 92" front projection screen, 720P projector!

All I can say is that was awesome! The video shots were just like being there!

There is a great message in this docudrama!

The AOPA and EAA need to mail a copy of this to all local government officials!

Yes indeed! Our airpark is facing threats by developers to run a freeway interchange and river crossing right through our park. Actually, right DOWN MY STREET. Yes, the runway would become unusable, but other homes further south of me would still be livable. Mine would probably get bulldozed.
This video is so well done, with such elegance and grace, that anyone with a heart would see how much GA contributes to our lives, our economy, and our
national identity.

I watch the DVD in my hangar and, try as I might, I don't seem to get much work done. It's hard to focus on the job at hand when you're wiping away tears. :eek:

Oh, and since when did helicopter pilots get that GOOD LOOKING? :D

It's truly a remarkable film.

Happy new year to all!

Brian Denk said:
Oh, and since when did helicopter pilots get that GOOD LOOKING? :D

There is hope for those that are unmarried to find a babe that is really into aviation!

I just got the chance to see this, in HD. My take is that it is a real nice little propaganda film for GA airports, a needed thing. It was great to see the interviews with famous pilot people. I particularly liked seeing Clay Lacey, who is responsible for all those great still photos of airplanes.

What way overshadows everything else, though, is the unbelievable aerial cinematography. Not only is everything tack sharp but the camera perspective moves around in a way I have not seen before, except maybe in computer generated stuff, which always looks real fake. The J-3 and the DC-3 were probably my favorites and the J-3 in particular showed things in a way I don't think they have been seen before. Just a taste of what it is like to fly around low and slow over the beauty and the poor unprivileged persons on the ground.

I think this type of helicopter gyrostabilized cinematography, in a slightly different type of film, would be astounding.

More about the planes and the flying and less about the plight of the airport would have made a much more entertaining film. If the goal was to inform, and perhaps inspire to action, then it was right on target. As a film for pilots, I'd say it fell short. The companion One-Six Left is much more of the visual stuff and a little film making info and no political jibber-jabber...$12 at Spruce.

16R

Does anyone know what the red biplane featured in the DVD is?
It doesn't look familiar to me at all.

Glenn

Not in my part of Canada

So, I got my HD TV hooked up to my PVR so I record 16Right. Now I find out that where I live in Canada it is not on TV at all. HD or otherwise. I quess I'll look into buying it on DVD sooner or later.
Enjoy, my freinds to the south.
Russel Koch
RV9A
Hanger Finished, Emp almost finished, QB wings and fuselage in another hanger. Hoping to get back to working on the plane this spring or summer :)

Back