What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Low Profile handles installed (video)

NovaBandit

Well Known Member
I got my new low profile handles installed over the weekend, and I made up a video of the process to better show how everything works.

These things are really nice!

Kudos to Justin Twilbeck for a well thought out design, and to Aerosport for a well built and complete product.

It's a pretty long video (35 minutes) so if you just want to see the final product, jump to 33:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPJEq558tM

Great video! The near-flush handles look awesome...
Yeah, I think I've just added another item to my shopping list. :D

Ed,
Awesome video! Very good job. It was a joy watching my handles come together and I feel like you covered everything I would have said if I were standing over your shoulder. Awesome job!

Nice video

Well done Ed!

I wish I had a good video like this for the PlaneAround latch.

Waiting for my handle to install it.

You do nice work.

Thanks Sean!

Between the PlaneAround 180 degree 3rd latch with the pin blocks, the angled pins, the Aerosport Low Profile Handle and inner handle cover, I finally feel like the RV10 doors look and operate wonderfully!

You and Geoff should work out some sort of "Ultimate RV10 Door Package"!

It looks Great...

When I first saw those door handles, I was impressed.. and hoping.. I mean really HOPING... that all I had to do was bolt them on...sigh....

My doors are done and installed on the fuselage... I remember spending many hours hooking up those pins and safety wiring them... Even assembling the handle with those "easy to install" split pins was a big pain. I am not as smooth and as quick as it shows on this video...now I gotta take em apart and do it all over again... Oh Well...

Still, A great video and I am glad I saw it...

Keyed lock tongue

Ed,
The tongue I got with my lock from ACS is flat. I see yours is bent. Did it come like that or did you bend it that way? Did you use the ACS lock part #11-01600. The metal tongue seems pretty tough and difficult to bend.
Thanks.
Johan

I just finished the retrofit to the Aerosport handles. Pretty straightforward, I was extremely cautious since the plane was already painted!
IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

Now on to mounting the Aerosport Landing Light!

Ed,

How did you finish the interior surface of your doors? It looks really nice in the video? Maybe a painted matte finish?

Thanks,
David

Hi Bill,
I have been considering a passenger assist handles as I see you have in one of your pics. What can you tell me about yours.... Did you reinforce the fiberglass? Did you use a standard SS handle from Lowes etc ? How did you decide on the mounting location and angle ? Would you do it again ?
Any other info that you can think of to help to decide to add the handles and the best method.

Thanks,
Gerry

Gerry,
I purchased these from McMaster Carr. They are the narrowest handles I could find since I did not want to add any more drag the necessary. I believe they use a #8 screw for the attachment. I was concerned with some that I saw at the local hdw store which used #6 or smaller screws to attach. I put these in after the build, so I did not reinforce the the inside. The handles are installed where there is honeycomb sandwich on the cabin cover, so what I did was to carefully carve out the foam and fill the holes with epoxy with micro. I re-drilled the holes and used a large washer on the inside. The placement was just even with the rear of the window and lined up with the fuselage. I did not want a persons arm to rest or push on the window when they were boarding which is why I put them at the end of the window. They are solid and holding up just fine, and make it a lot easier for older passengers to get up on the wing, and off the wing, safely.

Boy are you ever quick. At the speed you are working you could have a -10 finished in a couple weeks. :)

I might have to order those door handles now.

I got my new low profile handles installed over the weekend, and I made up a video of the process to better show how everything works.

These things are really nice!

Kudos to Justin Twilbeck for a well thought out design, and to Aerosport for a well built and complete product.

It's a pretty long video (35 minutes) so if you just want to see the final product, jump to 33:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZPJEq558tM

Ed,

How did you finish the interior surface of your doors? It looks really nice in the video? Maybe a painted matte finish?

Thanks,
David

Thanks! I finished it with a method I stole from Geoff at Aerosport. I painted the door interiors normally for a few coats, and then for the last two coats, I turned the pressure WAY down on the gun, to where the paint just splatters out. It gives a nice textured satin finish. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Boy are you ever quick. At the speed you are working you could have a -10 finished in a couple weeks. :)

I might have to order those door handles now.

I wish I could work as fast as I did in my videos! I just hit the three year mark TODAY... I'm hoping to be in the air in the next few months!

Thanks Ed! You make it look easy.
Bryan. You can do it in 33 minutes...you are efficient and productive.

Last edited:
Just Thought I would post that Aerosport Products now has The Low profile
Door handle kits back in Stock.

Geoff

Geoff, check your website. FireWidget validation code not working for contact e-mails, at least not from my iPad. Thanks.

Back