What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Pirep on Whirlwind G200L gnd adj prop

tturner

Well Known Member
I am considering buying a Whirlwind G200L ground adjustable propeller for my RV-4 o-320. Anyone have any experience with one? How difficult is it to adjust pitch? Any maintenance issues?

Adjusting prop with protractor

I did that on my AirCam (six blades), with a bubble protractor, IIRC. Once you learn how to do it (and it's not hard), adjusting the prop blades is really fast and very easy.

Don't knock it if you haven't done it enough go get proficient.

Great prop and I can adjust it in about 15 minutes to any infinite angle. I can tell the difference with a 2/10ths of a degree (.2) of angle change. Currently running 20.8 degrees on my RV-9A with 160hp(+) O-320 with good cruise. 20.5 is better in the climb at full gross though.

Great prop and I can adjust it in about 15 minutes to any infinite angle. I can tell the difference with a 2/10ths of a degree (.2) of angle change. Currently running 20.8 degrees on my RV-9A with 160hp(+) O-320 with good cruise. 20.5 is better in the climb at full gross though.

Had you run any other prop on this plane and if so, was there a significant performance change?

Thanks.

James

Do a search

I posted a few comments on my WW G200 experience back in 2012.
I love mine.

Ed,
I'd love to see a picture of that air cam...
Dennis

I did that on my AirCam (six blades), with a bubble protractor, IIRC. Once you learn how to do it (and it's not hard), adjusting the prop blades is really fast and very easy.

Don't knock it if you haven't done it enough go get proficient.

Had you run any other prop on this plane and if so, was there a significant performance change?

Thanks.

James

Yes and yes but I figure this was due to incorrect pitch (for my preference) on previous prop. Picked up bout 8ktas at 8500 da, at 2700 rpm or thereabouts

THANKS!!

Yes and yes but I figure this was due to incorrect pitch (for my preference) on previous prop. Picked up bout 8ktas at 8500 da, at 2700 rpm or thereabouts

Bottom line is that you seem to be happy and there were no major issues.

James

Bottom line is that I would not pass up the current deal on the se props right now (until December 15th I believe?). In fact, I am contemplating buying a second one just to have on hand:D

I really light my whirlwind GA 200 prop. I can see how a heavier prop on the nose would help out with CG issues in the RV-4 though. The only issue I've had with mine so far was from the spinner rubbing the prop hub which needed replaced. Great prop.

Whirlwind prop

Thanks for all the feedback. I have ordered the G200L 70" version of the prop. I will update this thread once I install it.

Bottom line is that I would not pass up the current deal on the se props right now (until December 15th I believe?). In fact, I am contemplating buying a second one just to have on hand:D

Where are you seeing a special deal or sale on this prop right now? I didn't see it mentioned on the whirlwind website.

Back