What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nut Plates on Rudder Bottom

rkochcyxh

I'm getting ready to rivet the R-918 bottom attach strip to the rudder bottom. Should I be looking at attaching the rudder bottom (R-911) with nut plates instead of rivets? What about the rudder tip R-909? If I do use nut-plates how often and what size. Thanks guys
Russel Koch
RV9A EMP picking up QB Wings and Fuselage next week

rkochcyxh said:
I'm getting ready to rivet the R-918 bottom attach strip to the rudder bottom. Should I be looking at attaching the rudder bottom (R-911) with nut plates instead of rivets? What about the rudder tip R-909? If I do use nut-plates how often and what size. Thanks guys
Russel Koch
RV9A EMP picking up QB Wings and Fuselage next week

I discovered the Click Bond nut plates at Oshkosh. I plan on using them for all of the fiberglass that needs access. They are hard to describe but obvious once you see them. They have a flourescent rubber "worm" running through the nut plate. Add glue, pull the "worm" through the hole. The worm locks the nut plate in place while the glue sets then you pull the worm the rest of the way out and you are left with a floating nut plate bonded in place using just one hole and no rivets.

I would use nut plates if there is a potential for lights in the rudder.

Plate nuts to secure bottom rudder cap...

http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a120.htm

Look at the second photo on this page. I used left over #4 plate nuts from a wing tip attach kit. You could also use #6 plate nuts, which would be stronger, and not so big as to protrude badly. Use the spacing called out for the pop rivets from Van's plans. Put one plate nut on each side of the forward brace (see photo).

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ
207.3 Hobbs hours since June 9, 2005.
www.n2prise.org

John - who did you buy the click bond nut plates from? Is there anything on the web where we can get a look at them?

Bill

Thanks for the web site reference. I really like this idea. It looks like a real quick and easy way to install Nut plates and cable ties.

Bill - about to attach the wings.

Back