What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Options for the quick build

rkochcyxh

Morning people
I've order my QB fusalage and wings yesterday and now I have to decide on some of the options. I know I've read this before, but I can't find it. Aileron trim, manual or electric? Its money and weight. Is it worth it? Static air kit. I want to make sure that I have a heated peto tube. Float sending unit? I'm planning on a Dyton efis. I have to let Vans know by Monday. I appreciate all the help and comments.
Thanks guys
Russel Koch

My $0.02

Russell,

My two cents:

- Aileron Trim - Are you planning an autopilot? If so, I would just go with the manual trim. The AP will handle the trim duties during the long haul.
- Static Kit - I went with the static kit, but I ordered the actual vents from Cleveland. The pop rivet that Vans recommends just doen't seem like a good long-term solution to me.
- Fuel Senders - I think for the QB you have to do the floats. I've heard you can retrofit some cap sender on those tanks, but I don't know that it is worth the hassle. I personally take fuel sender information as guidance only, so floats are accurate enough for me (my timer is my fuel gauge).

tx_jayhawk said:
- Static Kit - I went with the static kit, but I ordered the actual vents from Cleveland.

Have you found that the Cleveland ports give accurate readings? There has been quite a lot of posts that the SafeAir ports are giving readings that are as much as 4-5 MPH off.

My two cents:

- Aileron Trim - Bought it, left it off. I have a AP, and it handles aileron trim as mentioned above.
- Static Kit - Bought it, didn't use it. I used Aircraft Spruce's static ports These are accurate (They stick up a little). I may have used Van's tubing - can't remember.
- Fuel Senders - I don't even know why I have fuel senders. (Oh, I know..the FAA requires them). A timer and a dip stick is the best fuel guage. Oh, and a fuel totalizer. I never refer to my fuel guages.

OneTwoSierra said:
My two cents:

- Aileron Trim - Bought it, left it off. I have a AP, and it handles aileron trim as mentioned above.
- Static Kit - Bought it, didn't use it. I used Aircraft Spruce's static ports These are accurate (They stick up a little). I may have used Van's tubing - can't remember.
- Fuel Senders - I don't even know why I have fuel senders. (Oh, I know..the FAA requires them). A timer and a dip stick is the best fuel guage. Oh, and a fuel totalizer. I never refer to my fuel guages.

I have not been fortunate enough to fly anything with a fuel totalizer. I hear several people making the same kind of statements so I am considering one for my plane. Can you explain how this works and why it gives you more confidence? Maybe the answer is the same for both.

I would appreciate a better understanding of the advantages of a fuel totalizer.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Back