What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Coolers

rkochcyxh

I'm put an IO360 in my RV9A. It is rated at 180hp. My question is on oil coolers Vans offers the Cooler II or the Cooler 20006A. Will the Cooler II do the job in keeping the oil temp in check. We can get hot during the summer. Probably not as hot as Texas or Arizona but still close to 100 F.
Thanks guys
Russel Koch
85% done 90%to go

Hi Russel,

I would delete the Vans cooler and go with a Stewart Warner 8406R. It is the same size as the stock cooler that Vans sends in the kit but has greater cooling efficiency. It should do the trick on your 180/9a even in hot summers.

You are gonna love that engine/airframe combo! Climbs great (even with a fp prop) and the wing allows very efficient high altitude (low to mid teens) cruise operation.

Cheers,

db

Even the SW8406R won't cool some 360s. My friend who just finished his IO-360 RV7 a couple months ago is having to replace his 8406 with a bigger cooler now that spring/summer temps are coming. On the RV-8 in my avatar (ECI IO-360 9.2:1 compression) we had to go with the SW 10599R to keep it cool, and it can still break 210 deg in a climb on hot days. 9 or 10 rows on the oil cooler seems to be the minimum number you really need on a 360.

The "stock " cooler worked great with my O-290 but doesn't seem to work so well with the O-360. I ordered th S-W cooler but it will be a few weeks before I can test it and give you a PIREP.

The SW8406R is what I run and I know alot of other folks run the same cooler with excellent results on the 360. If you run piston squirters then you will probably need the larger cooler. My normal temps are 180 and I rarely see over 210 in the dead of summer (110+).

Stock Van's on my O-360 FP. No piston squirters.

180?-195?F depending on OAT.

Works great!

Stock Van's on my O-360 FP. No piston squirters.

180?-195?F depending on OAT.

Works great!

With a C/S, but other than that...............has just worked fine, and same general temps. Even have the Van's shutter for winter.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I never had any cooling problems with the Van's stock cooler on an 0-360 A1A with C/S prop on a 7A.

Roberta

Larger of the Two

Thanks Guys,
After reading everybody replies I think I will install the larger oil cooler that Vans offers. The "2006A" is also designed for the I0-360 200HP and the IO-540. I place an order with Vans every couple of weeks so shipping should be no problem. The "2006A" is larger than the Cooler II and I'm hoping it will do the job. The whole engine setup is an I0-360 from Aerosport in Kamloops B.C. With an Eagle EMS System and a Whirlwind Ground Adjustable Composite Prop. I'm hoping to set the prop for cruise and stay between 6500 and 10500 for my altitude. The nice thing about building your own airplane is that if I don't like the setup(oil cooler) I can always change it. Thanks Again Everybody
Russel Koch
RV9A
Doing the fiberglass tips on the empanage this weekend.
Not yet flying, but getting closer every day.

Back