What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OP-52A

asw20c

Well Known Member
OP-52A is the set of instructions that come with the Sun Spot LX Aero LEDs that you can purchase from Van's as an option with the wing kit. I'm a bit perplexed though at how poorly these instructions are written compared to most of the rest of the plans. First, in my WH-00011 wiring harness the L418 wire is white, not yellow. This mistake is repeated in OP-52A. Next, on the OP-52A plans there is a note at the top saying for steps 1-10, refer to figure 1. But there are only 7 steps. Those mistakes are a little disorienting, but here's the real kicker: Of the 4 wires that are routed into the bay with the landing light (L422, L417, L418, and L419) it says to crimp a butt splice onto the L419 wire, but then never mentions this wire again. In other words, the way I interpret this is that this wire is not to be used. If it isn't used, why is it in the harness at all taking up space in the snap bushings and adding (albeit negligibly) weight?
This just reinforces one of my earlier posts that it seems every after-market item that is added to the kit has either poorer quality compared to the rest of the Van's-made parts, or the instructions stink. Or both.
Ironically, this probably would not be as irritating if confusion and mistakes were the norm in the rest of the plans. When problems like this are encountered, precisely because they are rare, they make you question whether you are simply not understanding the intent, or whether the instructions really are wrong or misleading.
What have others done with this L419 wire that is a "conductor to nowhere"?

OP-52A is the set of instructions that come with the Sun Spot LX Aero LEDs that you can purchase from Van's as an option with the wing kit. I'm a bit perplexed though at how poorly these instructions are written compared to most of the rest of the plans. First, in my WH-00011 wiring harness the L418 wire is white, not yellow. This mistake is repeated in OP-52A. Next, on the OP-52A plans there is a note at the top saying for steps 1-10, refer to figure 1. But there are only 7 steps. Those mistakes are a little disorienting, but here's the real kicker: Of the 4 wires that are routed into the bay with the landing light (L422, L417, L418, and L419) it says to crimp a butt splice onto the L419 wire, but then never mentions this wire again. In other words, the way I interpret this is that this wire is not to be used. If it isn't used, why is it in the harness at all taking up space in the snap bushings and adding (albeit negligibly) weight?
This just reinforces one of my earlier posts that it seems every after-market item that is added to the kit has either poorer quality compared to the rest of the Van's-made parts, or the instructions stink. Or both.
Ironically, this probably would not be as irritating if confusion and mistakes were the norm in the rest of the plans. When problems like this are encountered, precisely because they are rare, they make you question whether you are simply not understanding the intent, or whether the instructions really are wrong or misleading.
What have others done with this L419 wire that is a "conductor to nowhere"?

The “substitute” wire for the yellow wire in the harness is clearly labeled. (On mine the white replacement wire not only has number label but also says something like “yellow wire” - it’s in storage now so can’t check exact words). Reason that there are "extra" wires is that harness is set up to accommodate people who might use other options instead of sunspot - one of the compromises of having ready-made harnesses (you can easily repurpose extra wires - or use if one goes bad down the line).

I really haven’t had any problems using this harness with the wiring diagram to help when I’m confused. My only real beef (which has been rectified in RV-12iS and presumably will eventually be changed in RV-14) is use of micro molex connectors but I’m replacing most of those as I go.

Last edited:
Back