What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

newbie in need of help

jmoose

Hi all, I am new to this site I'm pretty new to forums in general I normally don't use them because I can gain information I seek elsewhere friends, family, etc...so please excuse me if I posted this in the wrong spot. The reason I come here is because it is a childhood dream of mine to become a pilot that has never seemed to fade I ended up being a cnc machinist I work at Joe Gibbs racing in Huntersville NC, the time I was finishing high school was around the time of 9-11 and at that time being a pilot full time wasn't something I really cared to shoot for, I'm nearing a point in my life where the itch to be in the air is becoming unbearable, I have looked at pictures and watched videos for years now of vans rv7s and rv6s and have my heart set on one. Everything I do in the future is going to be based around owning one, what I really need is a direction to start down, and I have nobody that can get me pointed even close when it comes to aviation, so any help will be greatly appreciated! I'm sure many of u know the shoes I currently stand in wanting to fly so bad but being the only one out of anybody u have ever known to have this desire.

Been There

How about getting some famil flying with another pilot or instructor? There must be some flying clubs in your area. I bet you'll find no shortage of folks to take you flying if you rent the aircraft or pay for the gas.

Over time, this will do two things: help you find out just how much you really want to fly, and surround you by the aviation minded individuals you may be looking for.

Good Luck... nothing quite like flying!

EAA

Welcome, Justin,

Google 'EAA' and go to their web site and find an EAA chapter near you. You'll find a lot of RV information from most members.

Best,

Welcome

Welcome Justin. Wow. JGR. Cool. I'm a Nascar nut.
I believe pilots are born. If flying and owning (or building) is your dream then as they say, start taking bites of that elephant.
Find a CFI you like and get the license.
Most would advise to get the license before the RV.
Next is build or buy. Either way, the local EAA Chapter is a great place to start.

Welcome new guy

I used to be a machinist as well but now I'm a truck driver. About 2 years before 911 I started flight school. It took me longer than most because of my trucking work schedule but I got my pilots license and then worked through my IFR certification in a multi-engine aircraft. I thought about becoming a commercial pilot but I like my work schedule as a truck driver so I decided to build my own aircraft so I would not have to rent all the time. After 10 years of building, "I'm slower than most", I now have my own aircraft and it is awesome to fly, way better than anything I have ever rented.
Your machinist background will help out when making some of the parts. If you have any questions about anything during the build or purchasing an aircraft just ask on this site and someone will answer you. There are some of the most incredible people in the world here on this forum. :)

Google 'EAA' and go to their web site and find an EAA chapter near you. You'll find a lot of RV information from most members.

Agreed. In addition to RV info, most Chapters can tell you where to find good flight instruction. The contacts you make at an EAA chapter will aid your quest in every way. :D

Welcome Justin. Looks like you live in a nice area for aviation. According to the Charlotte EAA Chapter 309 website, they look to be a very active chapter. Plus I'm sure they'd all love to have a machinist buddy for making custom stuff! :p Congrats on such a strong showing at the Daytona 500, btw!!

Awesome thank you everyone I think the one other time I tried a forum for jet boats everybody was rude and not helpful, I will look into the eaa and see what I can find out I went to some local airports a couple years ago it was kind of like walking into a car dealership after the got wind of what I was after they was more interested in taking my money than actually helping me, right off the bat let's sit down and fill out some papers type thing... my plan is more along the lines of start with advice from experienced people that are not salesman, find out how I need to start... be with a cheaper plane, ultralight, renting, flying club, etc... for the longest time I have assumed buying the plane first would be best maybe due to saving thousands on renting during the license process, also I would be learning in "my plane" seemed safer than learning in someone else's plane then getting my own and it being very different and me being so inexperienced.
Just sounds scary lol... and yes thank you we had a great year last year at jgr the championship was the cherry on top then we start off 2016 with 1st in the Daytona 500! Denny had a great run they all did Matt just made a mistake trying to block but he got lucky keeping that car in one piece lol

Thank you definitely have a lot to look into now, another thing I've been considering is one of my priorities is purchasing another house i woukd love to get in a avaition development but one of the only ones I can find is in the opposite direction from work I've considered looking for a lot of flat land to have my own strip but I think that's just going to get to hard to locate and to expensive, but man it would be amazing to walk out into my shop and have my sports cars my boats my side by side and my vans rv even just to sit there in the bay door on a warm summer day drinking a cold coke and staring at it lol like i say everything in the future for me is based around my desire to fly

Keep an eye on the sales forum and sites like Barnstormers for kits that have been orphaned. You can get in with some work done and lots to go but at a discount.

I just received my finishing kit for mine that I picked up from another that built for 10 years before having to give it up. Sad for him but great for me.

I've been on barnstormers trade a plane etc for years just looking and drooling lol there ain't many on there right now, a friend of mines dad has a rv6 he spoke like buying rtf is better than building, financially anyway could have just been his opinion, I would love to build one or finish a build someone else didn't I'm just positive I can't wait 10 years to take to the air lol

That's something I will definitely look into I honestly have no idea what a lot of it means when looking at a "kit" I'm sure there is a lot to it when it comes to building purchasing gauges engine prop etc and all the inspections on top of that but almost every plane I've looked at In my head I already say I would want to change this and that and have it repainted and these seats etc then building my own comes to mind because I would basically be rebuilding that one

Well now, JMOOSE, you just have to make it over here to Gold Hill Airpark soon. Lots of RVs over here; I've got a 7, neighbor has a 6, neighbors across the runway have an 8 and a super-8. We'll get you up for one of those inspirational $$$$$ rides!! We're real close to you, too! Look up NC25 on the sectional. Bill

Gold hill is where I was looking to possibly purchase some real estate it's just a long way to work we have a football field at the shop maybe I could talk them into converting it into a landing strip lol, I would definitely love to ride out one weekend and look at the planes there has been many times I just go walk around Salisbury airport and gaze around in hopes to see anything taking off or landing haha might sound lame but I just enjoy even seeing planes

Shoot me an IM some time when you'd like to come out and look over Gold Hill. I'll be out of town for the next 2 weekends, but after that anytime! This is an excellent aviation community! There are some good homes for sale here, too. Bill

To Fly or not to Fly ...... is there a any question?

Flying has been written about so many times, i will save you the pain of all the romantic notions of flying. If it is "in" you it will remain forever, lord knows i have tried leaving it behind many times. Like a bad smell it follows me always!

I would start with the question " why do i wish to fly?", where do i wish to fly to?..... can i afford it?

The last question is a serious one for most of us wage earners as flying, even in Homebuilts is relatively expensive, at least in Canada here eh!

Time to build is many many months sometimes years, but to build one of these airplanes and fly it is so rewarding, mine is only 3/4 there and I can t wait after six years to feel the ground slip away under us in first flight.

VFR, VFR night, IFR, Cross country, sport aerobatic, LAS are all questions you should ask and become familiar with before even attempting a purchase. Lucky for you Vans has a model for each of the above category.

Well that is my two cents worth, love it, afford it, pick carefully, reserve time to build and have patience doing so. But man you will love that elevator ride in the sky that an RV 7 will give and the bending of space as you dive, roll and loop a Sunday afternoon away. Try one.... and welcome to the club!:)

With that being known now I would definitely have to say it's in me because it's never went away, why do I wish to fly.. better question would be why wouldn't one wish to fly! Lol, can I afford it anyone can that has a dream and makes the right choices in life and never gives up on chasing them.... with feasible goals anyway lol a 2 million dollar jet or something not feasible for the average joe... where do I want to go.... well owning a plane would open doors to that question right now about as far as I go is to the beach once a year that takes 4 hours to drive too... but honestly if all I did is go up make circles for an hour on a beautiful Saturday just to land right back where I took off I guarantee there would be a **** eating grin on my face the whole time :)

You don't have to have a license

You don't need a pilots license to build an plane. I don't have mine...Yet. A few of the guys in my EAA chapter don't have theirs either...yet. Don't be afraid to jump in with both feet and begin the build. I will admit it was very frustrating at times...but now I really enjoy it. I can go on and on about all the good experiences I have gained in the last year. What a hobby to build!!!. And I tell you this....everyone you know will be interested in what you are doing. It's a blast to talk planes.

I would love to start building a plane the only real problem with that is I have 4 mustangs 3 boats 3 trucks a corolla a car hauler a camper and my girlfriend has 2 cars and 1 truck and a camper and I have a 2 bay garage and 1 bay has a 4x8 pool table in it lol I'm kind of limited on space until I decide to sell something haha but I'm really looking to buy something else with a much bigger shop so if by that point I haven't purchased anything then would be the time to start a build

EAA! ALL THE WAY!........I cant tell you how much they have helped me! And if you want to learn about a RV aircraft, this site is your #1 resource! We are Family! :D

I will give you my advice: go to your local airport and take enough lessons to be SURE you want to fly - my friend had the bug to fly until his first major turbulence. Decided it wasn't for him.

If you're still sold, go buy a 150 or a Tripacer or similar and use it to get your license. While training you will better understand what you are wanting long term. When you get done, keep flying it or sell it to get the RV. A good friend bought a decent 150 for $9k, flew it for 75 hours through acquiring his license and beyond, sold it for $9k - saved himself $4-5k in rental fees while training. Once he had about 100 hours he bought an older, simple RV-6. He's up to 640 hours now and loving every flight.

I emailed one of the people of the eaa chapter in Charlotte I haven't received a response yet but I agree that seems like a good starting ground if all goes as planned I will hopefully start the procedure to obtain my ppl around april

I've been in a few 150s 172 rv6 and 747s there's been times where my stomach has questioned flying but with time just like anything else it would become natural , I spoke with a guy at work yesterday that has his ppl and a glasair he also recommend starting with a 150 to get my license and some hours on, he said I won't find an instructor or anything that will allow me to train in my experimental aircraft it would have to be certified and he said insurance on a rv will be high but would decrease once I had some hours under my belt

You might be able to find a CFI that will train you in your own RV, but it's highly unlikely. Almost any CFI can and will train in a Cessna 150 (if you both fit in it... lol) Or a Cherokee 140, or Tri-Pacer. You can find nice ones really cheap these days. And your friend is right about insurance, it will be much, much less in an old certified plane when you're learning to fly. Old metal planes are better than a Tri-Pacer in my opinion because you can tie them out on a ramp somewhere and not have to pay hangar rent. It's just a crime to keep a fabric covered airplane tied down outside because they deteriorate so much faster.

Hi Jmoose,

I'm a member of EAA 309. Every Tuesday evening a bunch of us members meet at a hangar at the Lake Norman Airpark in Mooresville, NC. It's close to JGR I believe. We are building an RV-9, working on the wings right now. Other group build projects for our chapter currently going on Tuesday evenings at the airpark include a Cozy (composite 4-seat canard design) and a ULF glider (a German-designed wood/fabric glider; ours will be fitted with a pair of electric motors for propulsion!). Great folks and always a fun time! :)

You are more than welcome to come by some Tuesday evening and check things out. If so, I can introduce you to folks in our EAA group that can offer excellent help/advise. Please visit the EAA 309 website or feel free to email me through the VAF website for more information.

Welcome. And congrats to you and everyone else at Joes Gibbs Racing on the Daytona 500 win; AWSOME finish!

Robert

Yeah I do believe going with a cheaper certified plane like the 150 is what I will be starting with it ain't really what I want or how I planned on starting this journey but hey being in the airs being in the air, still just a lot to figure out before hand such as who will be training me where I will keep the plane what type of insurance I will have to have and who will provide it to me and at what cost, I did speak with the president of the 309 chapter and was told about the builds you guys have going on but unfortunately I'm second shift at jgr so week nights I'm unable to do anything :/, and thanks we got Atlanta tomorrow hopefully we do well there also we have had a good streak thus far!

I am just on the other side of the lake from you, working on an RV7a firewall forward. I am a relatively new pilot having done all my training in the area and would be happy to show you my project and talk about local training options any time. Good luck!

Wade

Sounds good wade I need all the help I can get, I would love to swing by and see your build sometime, my cell is 704-239-8158 just shoot me at text or call me whenever would be good for you

Back