What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 tail on RV-6?

SOCALFLYBOY

I've searched online for this, but only seen one picture of it. What does it entail to put an RV7 or 9 tail on an RV6....or is it even logical?

It is done, but why?

I have read that several folks have converted to larger tails ----- not sure if it makes sense.

R.

Worth a 1000 words

I've searched online for this, but only seen one picture of it. What does it entail to put an RV7 or 9 tail on an RV6....or is it even logical?
I inspected and delivered this 6A with a 7 tail several years ago. It was modified during construction after a hurricane damaged it. He insisted the 7 rudder retrofit was very straightforward and no cutting required. A "bolt-on" to hear him describe it.
It flew fine although I never have personally liked the aesthetic appeal of the larger rudder and stab. Additionally, the larger rudder isn't needed for stability or effectiveness.

V/R
Smokey

Despite it's original lineage, the builder took the liberty to re-label it....:)

Last edited:
I have an RV-7 tail on my near-complete RV-6. I can't speak to the flying qualities, but the install was pretty straightforward. However, on the RV-7 the vertical stab has an offset that is not part of the RV-6 plans. I incorporated this Offset into my assembly without much trouble, but the Attach plate in the RV-6 kit won't work with the offset. The plate doesn't come in the emp kit, so you either need to make your own or order one for the RV-7 separately.

I inspected and delivered this 6A with a 7 tail several years ago. It was modified during construction after a hurricane damaged it. He insisted the 7 rudder retrofit was very straightforward and no cutting required. A "bolt-on" to hear him describe it.
It flew fine although I never have personally liked the aesthetic appeal of the larger rudder and stab. Additionally, the larger rudder isn't needed for stability or effectiveness.

V/R
Smokey

Despite it's original lineage, the builder took the liberty to re-label it....:)

Thanks....very helpful info!!

RV-8 tail on my last 6A

I installed a RV-8 vertical and horizontal on my last RV-6A. Straight forward, bolt on, without issue. RV-6 original tail now on a friend's RV-4.

Back