What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Marvel-Schebler Carburetor

727TT

I was reviewing the Superior Engine Service bulletins and noticed a SB for the float It says to inspect every 30 days until replaced with a new foam float.

Has anyone had to replace their float as a result of this? I plan to call Superior on Monday with my carburetor serial number to see if they can tell me what type of float is in my carburetor.

Thanks!

Steven
RV727TT

I think these days you're suppose to have the blue epoxy floats.

Note also there is a version of the metal float which is NOT affected by the current or previous M-S Service Bulletin. When I had my carb IRAN'd prior to first engine run the overhaul shop asked if I wanted to spend the $400 for the blue float or $115 for the metal float. After a good chat it was decided I would go with the metal float, a float which has given them zero troubles, rather than the blue float that might end up with the same as the plastic float it's replacing.

The OH shop manager summed it up with words that went like this... "The plastic float was installed in response to a SB to get rid of defective metal floats. A few years later we're replacing their gee-whiz plastic float with another unproven plastic float while a proven metal float exists. It's stupid to think the new blue float is worth the money they charge when they said the same thing about the plastic floats that sink."

'Nuff said - I was convinced and went with the proven metal float.

Note also there is a version of the metal float which is NOT affected by the current or previous M-S Service Bulletin. When I had my carb IRAN'd prior to first engine run the overhaul shop asked if I wanted to spend the $400 for the blue float or $115 for the metal float. After a good chat it was decided I would go with the metal float, a float which has given them zero troubles, rather than the blue float that might end up with the same as the plastic float it's replacing.

The OH shop manager summed it up with words that went like this... "The plastic float was installed in response to a SB to get rid of defective metal floats. A few years later we're replacing their gee-whiz plastic float with another unproven plastic float while a proven metal float exists. It's stupid to think the new blue float is worth the money they charge when they said the same thing about the plastic floats that sink."

'Nuff said - I was convinced and went with the proven metal float.

I think some of the old metal floats leaked and that was why the plastic ones came along.

However, as the old saying goes - "Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem" :)

I would think they would have this sorted out by now. This Marvel-Schebler float thing has been going back and forth at least since the 1980?s.:rolleyes:

I would think they would have this sorted out by now. This Marvel-Schebler float thing has been going back and forth at least since the 1980?s.:rolleyes:

It's not uncommon for aircraft ADs to pop up right around the time of (after) a change in ownership of the design/production certificate. Just sayin'.....

Back