What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel Shaft Receiver Cracked! Best way to fix it?

Dain

Hello, All! I had my TRF1 F1-Rocket in for prop overhaul and while it was in the shop we noticed the tailwheel shaft was rocking a small amount from side to side. After inspection, we dropped the bolt that holds the shaft in place and it was bent in two places. (a little bend at the top and a little bend at the bottom.) Also, a crack in the receiver sleeve for the shaft was found. My question is: What is the best way to repair the frame/receiver that the tailwheel shaft slides into?

Too Many Landings on Grass Strips!!!

Dain

Bummer. The problem of bolt ?wobble? is pretty common and can be fixed in a couple of ways, most common being a taper pin. However, if the weldment is cracked I see no choice but to remove it and replace it. I guess you could remove it and weld it but you can?t do that on the airframe so might as well replace it. It will not be an easy job.
I have not had to do this but I would guess removing the tail would make it a bit easier.

Photo?

I actually welded/repaired one of these inside the tail of an RV-4 once, all done through the inspection hole without removing the tail, yes that was tricky but turned out well. A photo or better description of the problem would go a long way to coming up with a plan.

I can stick stuff together. Russ can weld!
I wouldn?t guess anybody could weld this, but Russ isn?t anybody!

Back