What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pictorial Auto Pilot Trouble

fbrewer

Well Known Member
We have a 2 axis Pictorial Auto Pilot installed in our fixed pitch RV-6 with an io360 and a Garmin 430

Today when flying, I had the Auto Pilot engaged (no ALT and no NAV). The Auto Pilot appeared to track the heading as expected.

I then attempted to twist the desired heading know 20-30 degrees right, just as a thermal bump hit the airplane and my hand fell off the hdg knob and knocked the Auto Pilot switch off.

Great :)

OK, I maintained heading and level unaccelerated flight while I turned the Auto Pilot back on. The heading reappeared. But now the Auto Pilot when engaged would not take command to follow the dialed in heading.

Additionally, I could not get the NAV mode to connect.

Is this normal behaviour when restarting the Pictorial Auto Pilot when airborne?

BTW, I just ordered a spring loaded switch gaurd for the auto pilot switch :)

It sounds to me like it is possible that you broke a sheer screw on the roll servo. To test, on the ground, turn the auto pilot on and see if it?s will move the stick left and right as you turn the heading knob. You will need to have the 430 on, but when it boots up, just push the ENT key once, so the top of the screen will read ?Instrument Panel self test?, which will send a track of 135 degrees to the auto pilot. If the stick moves, push against it and see how much resistance it takes to overpower it.

By the way, the pictorial pilot is only a one axis auto pilot. The ?ALT? button is an Altria, which controls the other axis, and is completely independent of the pictorial pilot except the disconnect switch may be connected to both.

My trutrak sheared the roll axis screw. There was enough friction that it would still track a bit and move the stick and ailerons in the hangar.

Lucas said check closer, it was a sheared screw.

Jesse,

I was finally able to get out to my beloved RV to test the Pictorial Auto Pilot.

<< If the stick moves, push against it and see how much resistance it takes to overpower it. >>

The stick did move left and right when I dialed the heading to 125 and then to 145.

I was able to overpower the stick with probably about 5 lbs of force.

It was interesting to see it rachet degree by degree.

When you overpowered it, did it move smoothly or in jerks? 5lbs doesn?t sound like a sheer screw, but it could still be. The servo should be under the Pilot or copilot seat floor. See if the arm moves in relation to the barrell.

Jesse,

My inflight test of the auto pilot indicated it was work properly in heading mode, taking direction from the dialed in heading and also in gps mode taking direction from the garmin 430.

Jesse,

Yes, it appears to be working now. Although the roll angle and rate of turn to turn to a new heading or gps point is painfully low and slow.

Is this adjustable?

Back