What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

s/w update question for Garmin

lr172

Well Known Member
I have an older 430W that I would like to get a s/w update for. Does Garmin, by chance, offer these updates to customers if they bring their equipment to your booth at Osh?

I have an older 430W that I would like to get a s/w update for. Does Garmin, by chance, offer these updates to customers if they bring their equipment to your booth at Osh?

Hello Larry,

That's a good question. We have considered doing GNS/GTN software updates at Oshkosh, but to be done right, the installer should always capture/document all the settings before performing a software update, and verify that they are still correct after the update, and this is pretty time consuming.

Additionally, there are sometimes updates required for GTN attached devices like audio panels, and to update one and not the other might leave the equipment in an unusable condition for the owner's trip home.

Transponders are quite a bit simpler, and as you probably know, we have been updating those at SNF and OSH for several years.

Hopefully you know a good Garmin dealer who can help you out with the software update for your 430W.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Larry,

That's a good question. We have considered doing GNS/GTN software updates at Oshkosh, but to be done right, the installer should always capture/document all the settings before performing a software update, and verify that they are still correct after the update, and this is pretty time consuming.

Additionally, there are sometimes updates required for GTN attached devices like audio panels, and to update one and not the other might leave the equipment in an unusable condition for the owner's trip home.

Transponders are quite a bit simpler, and as you probably know, we have been updating those at SNF and OSH for several years.

Hopefully you know a good Garmin dealer who can help you out with the software update for your 430W.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve. In this case, the 430W is uninstalled and has no settings that I care about and it won't be installed in my plane for the return trip. They can do a simple wipe and update with no effort spent in reconfiguring. This is an older unit that I will be installing in the RV-10 that I am building and need to be sure it has the update for ADS-b+, as it will be connecting to my ES 23. Given this situation, will they do the update for me?

Larry

Thanks Steve. In this case, the 430W is uninstalled and has no settings that I care about and it won't be installed in my plane for the return trip. They can do a simple wipe and update with no effort spent in reconfiguring. This is an older unit that I will be installing in the RV-10 that I am building and need to be sure it has the update for ADS-b+, as it will be connecting to my ES 23. Given this situation, will they do the update for me?

Larry

Hello Larry,

If you don't mind, please send us an email regarding this so we can discuss further.

Thanks,
Steve

Back