What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Help GARMIN 696 ?

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
I am having difficulty understanding the capability of the 696 GPS. In the pictures of this unit I have seen it displaying an artificial horizon? I'm not talking about the GDU 370 or 375. I am referring to the portable 696 GPS unit. Can it display the following items; ADS-B weather or traffic or an artificial horizon? Does the GDL 39D interface with the 696 unit? if so, what features.

Thanks before I make a purchase.

I am having difficulty understanding the capability of the 696 GPS. In the pictures of this unit I have seen it displaying an artificial horizon? I'm not talking about the GDU 370 or 375. I am referring to the portable 696 GPS unit. Can it display the following items; ADS-B weather or traffic or an artificial horizon? Does the GDL 39D interface with the 696 unit? if so, what features.

Thanks before I make a purchase.

Hello Phil,

Yes, the GPSMAP 696 does interface with the GDL 39/39R and GDL 39 3D, and it receives/displays ADS-B traffic (dual frequency) and weather.

It does not, however, use the 3D data. The Aera 660/795/796 all provide a synthetic vision presentation using the GDL 39 3D attitude data as well as attitude data provided by the newer GDL 50/51/52(R).

The compatible devices tab on the GDL 39 3D lists the devices that use the 3D data.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

THANK YOU

Well there is some conflicting information between the first responder (Gene) and the second (G3 xpert)? I'm going with the Garmin g3xpert. I was hoping it would display the AHRS information from the GDL 39 3D, I guess not. Thank you for the link and the information. I wish the 696 displayed attitude information. I just think the design and interface are well engineered. Plus the screen size is awesome.

Back