What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main gear fairings - RV14a

The Vans kit comes with these parts, but they may require some finishing (pin hole filling). I have heard that more recent kits (mine was almost 2 years ago for the finishing kit) have many more fiberglass parts finished with gel coat. I have no experience with the parts in your link.

A transition in production was (mostly) completed about 3 months ago that has gel-coat on nearly all composite parts supplied in RV kits.

My gear leg fairings are gel coated and look pretty nice, although I have not installed them, yet.

The glass parts on my 14, with the exception of the rudder top and VS top, of excellent fit. They were not gel coated at that time and this would be a nice addition to the kit.

After 100+ hours of flight, my airplane is getting painted right now.

My painter liked all the gel coated parts he has painted - wing tips and empennage tips - but has cursed the spinner and empennage fairing, which were not gel coated.

He is not happy with the gear fairings which we are holding off until the end. I'm glad to hear that all the other fiberglass parts are getting the gel coat treatment.

My main gear upper intersection fairings are seriously far from flat seems like 3/8 of an inch of flox would be needed to make them right.

So I'm looking at the RVbits versions to see if I can start from a better place and save many hours of time????

Last edited by a moderator:
My main gear upper intersection fairings are seriously far from flat seems like 3/8 of an inch of flox would be needed to make them right.

So I'm looking at the RVbits versions to see if I can start from a better place and save many hours of time????

I didn't want to deal with the VERY rough Van's Int. fairings on the 10 and went with the RV bits. Haven't installed yet, so can't speak to fit, but the finish is very nice.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
VAN's quality of the fairing, intersection fairing and other fiberglass work has improved significantly. It is simply great and with the jel coat, very little if any pin holes.

VAN's quality of the fairing, intersection fairing and other fiberglass work has improved significantly. It is simply great and with the jel coat, very little if any pin holes.

That's interesting. When I asked Scott a month or two ago, he replied that the intersection fairing were not part of that effort and are still not gel coated. Do you have gel coated intersection fairings in your possession?

Larry

I have the rvbits fairings .. ended up not using them .. also it takes about 3 months to get them.

That's interesting. When I asked Scott a month or two ago, he replied that the intersection fairing were not part of that effort and are still not gel coated. Do you have gel coated intersection fairings in your possession?

Larry

Larry, I might be a lucky one but I have received mine and fitted them. They are of exceptional quality in my opinion at least compare to the past fairing that was supplied for the 7A. All Jel coated.

Back