What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plexiglass Drill Bits - Source?

Driving '67

Well Known Member
Friend
Hi,

Just getting ready to install the wing landing light lens and the plans (page 17-09 step 5) call for you to use #30 & #27 Plexi-bits. I see both Cleaveland and Avery Tools just carry fractional sized plexi-bits. Any idea on a good spot to order these drills?

Thanks Jim

Last edited:
An option is to take a regular twist drill and intentionally dull the cutting surface. This option works well for me and I have never actually purchased a plexiglass drill. To dull a bit I have drilled an old concrete block or even stuck the drill bit into an expansion joint in a concrete floor. When the cutting surfaces are dull to the touch it will not have the tendency to bite or grab and chip the plexiglass. Always test the dull bit on some scrap before drilling the actual part.

also can be custom made

If you find you don't have the size you want, lots of info out there on how to make one.
http://www.plasticgenius.com/2009/03/repairing-crack-in-plexiglass.html

I've had the most success just taking a standard old bit, and using a dremel with a small, flat disc, taking the 'bite' out of the bit by grinding the cutting edge into a flat, vertical edge.
The bit now scrapes it's way thru, rather than digging out material, more like a milling machine. anyone whose worked acrylic or lexan will tell you that cutting with a router is much preferred over a saw, for just this reason.

I think just dulling an old bit may work, but you should watch the potential heat & pressure you're using.

with these expensive pieces you're drilling, why not use a new, sharp bit that's designed for the job.

ALternative

On my -8 the lenses were very thin and flexible. I don't know what they look like in you case.

I used a pointed soldering iron tip and melted the correct size hole.

Easy peasy.

Don

Back