What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DYNON yaw damper and pitch servo hardware questions

Bill Boyd

Well Known Member
It is apparent that Dynon has changed their recommended servo configuration for elevator control at some point from a SV-42 "legacy" servo to a SV-42T torque-enhancing linear actuator servo, and in the bargain has changed the necessary mounting bracket from a Van's-identical part, F-14184, to a custom OEM bracket available only from Dynon for $75 as part of a mounting kit.

Installation of the yaw damper kit from Vans interacts with the pitch servo installation, hence the question for me at this time about the proper part to acquire for pitch servo accommodation. This in turn depends on the Dynon pitch servo selected...

Has anyone experienced sub-standard performance with the non-enhanced SV-42 servo for RV-10 pitch service?

Has anyone successfully adapted a F-14184 pitch servo mounting bracket for use with the newer Dynon SV-42T linear actuator servo?

Would like to hear any firsthand experience from the field..

I have the linear pitch servo and the Dynon yaw damp kit on my RV10. It is installed with the RV14 Y/D kit from Vans.
The only issue is a very slight difference in the span between the aft mount holes requiring the slight elongation of the port side hole to match up. Otherwise, everything mates up and works great.
I can text you pix.

I have the linear pitch servo and the Dynon yaw damp kit on my RV10. It is installed with the RV14 Y/D kit from Vans.
The only issue is a very slight difference in the span between the aft mount holes requiring the slight elongation of the port side hole to match up. Otherwise, everything mates up and works great.
I can text you pix.

I would be interested in seeing this too. If you can send the pictures to me, I can host them on my web server and link them here if you wish.

Myron the question is whether the linear actuator-style pitch servo will fit /can be readily made to fit the Van's bracket mentioned above. And secondarily whether the linear actuator model is that much better that I should shy away from a SV-42 someone might be listing in the classifieds or something.

I switched from the standard to the linear before I flew so I don’t have a comparison, but the 10 is a big airplane with a wide CG range and I trust that someone knew what they were doing when they initiated the change. I don’t recall a bracket change but it was several years ago.

Last edited:
I'll just order what I need from Dynon. The cost difference between their bracket and Van's maybe-possibly-bracket for the SV-42T is 0.06 AMU.

Not worth waiting for an answer from the field that may not even be known.

Carry on with regularly scheduled programming :eek:

Back