What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Teen Flight (teenagers building an RV-12)

Teen Flight III nearing completion

It has been a year since the last update. The airplane is fast approaching completion. I think the plan is to do the same as was done with Teenflight II, and sell the airplane to help finance Teenflight IV.
Check out the Teenflight Blog site for regular updates as they approach first flight.

Another mile stone.....

This previous Saturday the Oregon TeenFlight organization began another chapter with the first work day of TeenFlight 4.

The program has come a long way since the very first build class in September 2009. As was the case in previous groups, we have team members (a large # of them this time) from the previous build teams acting as mentor/instructors for the new build team.

You can see photos and read more on the TeenFlight Blog

Any updates on this thread? Anyone? Anyone? ;-)

The TeenFlight program is alive and well, and various similar programs now exist all over the world! At the original Portland TeenFlight, we just sold the 5th TeenFlight RV12, while TeenFlight 6 and TeenFlight 7 are both currently under construction.

Question-

How are these projects typically funded?

I think I could round up and mentor a dozen teens. I'm not sure I could get $60K in aircraft parts to support the project...

Question-

How are these projects typically funded?

I think I could round up and mentor a dozen teens. I'm not sure I could get $60K in aircraft parts to support the project...

Depends on the program, each one differs.

In the Portland TeenFlight case, the first aircraft was funded by donors. Subsequent aircraft are sold/auctioned and the proceeds pay for the next one. The program is a non-profit organization, all volunteers. No cost to the youth who participate.

I know of others that have corporate sponsors, etc. Maybe some of the leaders from the various other programs will chime in.

How to participate?

The TeenFlight program is alive and well, and various similar programs now exist all over the world! At the original Portland TeenFlight, we just sold the 5th TeenFlight RV12, while TeenFlight 6 and TeenFlight 7 are both currently under construction.

How does one get their teen involved in the Portland Program? I have a 16 year old sophomore in the West Linn area that would be interested in learning about this.

Any new developments with this? Which model builds are they on now? The newer RV-12iS?

Yes, exactly - the RV-12iS is what's available to build, and one is currently underway at the Portland TeenFlight class (this is airplane #7 for the Portland area program). This the first RV-12iS the local program has built and they're making good progress.

Many, many other teen-build programs across the country and around the world are also building the RV-12 in various later phases of work as well as some that have started their own RV-12iS projects more recently.

Overall there are around 70 RV-12's that have been or are in the process of being built by these terrific programs around the world -- so far!

I sometimes wonder if it would just be easier for these Teen Flight birds to be left in the raw, and ask the future owner if they'd like it wrapped instead of painted, in the pattern of their choice.

This would keep the costs, sales tax and luxury tax or registration assessment taxes down a bit for the new owners, especially in states like CA where I'd pay another 9.5% in sales tax on top of the sales price.

Last edited:
Kettle Moraine Youth Aviation build program

KMYA, Inc, a non-profit we formed two years ago just completed our first RV12 with local HS students! FAA issue our Airworthiness Certificate last week. We're getting huge local support and are expanding to a second HS this fall. We have 12 mentors and have thoroughly enjoyed the process. We have two students enrolled at Emory-Riddle AZ just in this last two years. If anyone is interested in how we got things going here in Hartford WI, I'd be happy to discuss.

For those programs already having completed projects, is it true we can get a 10% rebate on the cost of the kit once the plane is completed? We've ordered the second plane already. Who should I speak to at Van's

KMYA, Inc, a non-profit we formed two years ago just completed our first RV12 with local HS students! FAA issue our Airworthiness Certificate last week. We're getting huge local support and are expanding to a second HS this fall. We have 12 mentors and have thoroughly enjoyed the process. We have two students enrolled at Emory-Riddle AZ just in this last two years. If anyone is interested in how we got things going here in Hartford WI, I'd be happy to discuss.

For those programs already having completed projects, is it true we can get a 10% rebate on the cost of the kit once the plane is completed? We've ordered the second plane already. Who should I speak to at Van's

Greg (two posts above yours in this thread) should be able to provide you with the details.

Correction
Anyone calling the office to request info on the teen build project discount program should ask for Mitch Lock.

Last edited:
Southern Arizona Teen Aviation

We have finished 2 RV12iS airplanes. We sold the first to pay for the second. It was not painted. our thinking was that the buyer could pick their own paint colors and…..we didn’t have the cash for a paint job.

Our second one will be for sale in 4 or 5 months just as we finish #3. it to is unpainted.

Before the lead times started improving I ordered wings and fuselage for #4. they have delivered which means we won’t have any interruption in our Sunday/Monday work schedule. the last couple years have been tough having enough for our students to work on so we are grateful that seems to be behind us.

THANK YOU Vans Aircraft for the support you give us and all the HS programs.

Last edited:
I'm very pleased to say that we are currently finishing aircraft #5 here in NZ and we have kit #6 paid for and almost ready to ship.

Our teenagers are hand-picked from a local High School and typically we have one intake of 10 teenagers every two years. Covid played merry **** with the schedule so this year we've taken on new recruits as others have had to move away to jobs or University. The current RV-12iS should be flying by about October if all goes well. This aircraft has been sold and is being painted to the new owners specifications.

For our Trust, funding has been by very gratefully received dontations. Each aircraft we've built has helped fund the next project. The teenagers are all provided with flights in the completed aircraft and encouraged to at least go solo. Additional benefits are also provided such as field trips, so competition for placements on the team assures a high standard.

We've averaged one new RV-12 build every two years. The RV-12 is an ideal aircraft for such a project and support from Vans has been very mush appreciated. I find it heart warming to hear Greg mention over 70 aircraft have been/are being built in this way. Thats outstanding.

Back