What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII & Powerflow Installation Help

JohnHolman

I'm New Here
I'm looking for someone in Georgia, preferably the Atlanta Area) to install the Sys32 EFII (ignition + fuel injection) and a Powerflow exhaust on my O-360 Lycoming (with CS Prop). Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John Holman
404-217-7598

What plane are you installing the Powerflow on?

I'm currently flying a Glastar, which is what I need the EFII & Powerflow installed on. I know this is an RV forum, and I'm a huge fan of RVs (started an RV-10 kit, but never finished it). I also know that there are builder support companies that work on a variety of experimentals, so I'm hoping to find one of those guys in the Atlanta area...

Thanks again!

Let us know how the powerflow install goes. Every time I've talked to the powerflow guys they have said that it won't work on experimentals as they have only done development work on specific certified aircraft. I'd love to hear that this has changed as it's basically "free" (for varying $ amounts of free) power.

Now there's a load of, well... not sweet smelling stuff! LoL
The exhaust will work if it is properly engineered. What they are likely trying to say is they have no idea of how much improvement might be gained in an experimental aircraft because they have no idea which exhaust is currently installed.

I just sold (waiting for the check to arrive and clear) a Powerflow for a 0-360 I had in a Cessna 172. I wanted to install it on my RV-8 but the cowling modification plus I already have free flowing Vettermans so I didn't see how it would improve anything.

I think they don't advertise for Experimentals is because they can't get you with the $300 STC ripoff, I mean transfer fee since you don't need the STC to install it in your experimental.

Now there's a load of, well... not sweet smelling stuff! LoL
The exhaust will work if it is properly engineered. What they are likely trying to say is they have no idea of how much improvement might be gained in an experimental aircraft because they have no idea which exhaust is currently installed.

They mumbled something about it needing to be tuned for the engine/exhaust combination and did not want to take my money. Oh well, I spend enough airplane money already ;)

Having installed a Powerflow on our first Diamond DA40, I can tell you that we gained about 5-7 knots in cruise with a commensurate increase in fuel flow. The Powerflow is much less restrictive than (in this case) the Diamond factory exhaust so the engine can make more power, but does drink more fuel. It was optimized for 2450 RPM.

It worked so well Diamond made it standard on the Lycoming DA40's.

Powerflow promised an RV-10 exhaust years ago but I've never seen it.

Krea, I see you're in Locust Grove, GA. I'm looking for someone in or around Atlanta who can help me install an exhaust system and the EFII ignition/injection systems. Any suggestions?
Thanks
John

Synergy Air South. They specialize in RV build assist but it’s worth the call.

https://synergyair.com/about-synergy/

If you don’t have any luck there, try Kent Gorton with CAVU Wings LLC. He’s a neighbor but his shop is at Griffin Spaulding County airport. (314) 368-6007. I know he’s pretty busy too.

Last edited:
Switching to SDS EM-5 & Vetterman

I started out looking for help to install the EFII sys32 & Powerflow, but after a lot of reading, and some very good input from VAF members, I'm now thinking I'll go with the SDS EM-5 and Vetterman exhaust.

The Vetterman exhaust is MUCH less expensive ($1,400) than the Powerflow ($3,500), and I can't find anyone who argues there's a significant difference. So, $2k saved there.

And, after reading extensively on the (confusing) SDS site, it looks like Ross has 1) a lot more experience and 2) a better-quality product, when it comes to the electronic ignition & injection.

Does anyone here want to venture a guess as to how many hours of labor it would take to install the SDS EM-5 (ignition & injection) on an O-360 A1A, on a Glastar (relatively easy access to everything, on both sides of the firewall)?

Installation time

Hi John,

I think in your case one of the big unknowns is the plumbing. Does the Glastar have a header tank? Remember, in these EFI/EFII systems you’ll be using a high pressure fuel rail with fresh fuel constantly flowing through/around it. That fuel MUST be supplied from and returned to the source from which it was taken. So in the case of RV’s (which doesn’t use a header thank) a duplex fuel valve must be used so the unused fuel can be returned to the same tank from which it was drawn. If your Glastar has a header tank and your engine is currently being supplied with fuel from that header tank, you should be able to just tap back into it for your return flow.

The fuel rail/ injector supply plumbing should be fairly straightforward. Both systems also require a fuel pressure regulator, so that’ll also have to be mounted on the firewall.

Both systems also incorporate duel electrical fuel pumps....(you’ll be removing your manual engine fuel pump). You’ll have to decide on a happy place to install these. Remember, pumps push better than they pull, so keep that in mind when thinking about a place to mount them.

Are you planning on a two battery or two alternator setup?...or maybe both? The bottom line, there’s so many variables to take into consideration that your question as to how many hours are required to do the installation is a very difficult one to answer.

I’ve installed one of theses systems before in a -7, so I’m fairly familiar with them. I’m also about to install one in my -8. Having never installed one of these systems in an -8, but at least being very comfortable with the system overall and understanding how everything works, I’m estimating it’s going to take me between 40-60 hours from start to finish.

Some guys may be able to do the job in half that time and others it may take them more than double that, but I’m guessing it’ll take me about that long to complete the entire transformation on my -8.

These systems really aren’t any different or difficult to install than anything else on the airplane. Just take your time, plan everything out, and take it one step at a time. I think once you have it installed and all dialed in, you’ll be very happy with the results.

Hi John,

I think in your case one of the big unknowns is the plumbing. Does the Glastar have a header tank? Remember, in these EFI/EFII systems you?ll be using a high pressure fuel rail with fresh fuel constantly flowing through/around it. That fuel MUST be supplied from and returned to the source from which it was taken. So in the case of RV?s (which doesn?t use a header thank) a duplex fuel valve must be used so the unused fuel can be returned to the same tank from which it was drawn. If your Glastar has a header tank and your engine is currently being supplied with fuel from that header tank, you should be able to just tap back into it for your return flow.

The fuel rail/ injector supply plumbing should be fairly straightforward. Both systems also require a fuel pressure regulator, so that?ll also have to be mounted on the firewall.

Both systems also incorporate duel electrical fuel pumps....(you?ll be removing your manual engine fuel pump). You?ll have to decide on a happy place to install these. Remember, pumps push better than they pull, so keep that in mind when thinking about a place to mount them.

Are you planning on a two battery or two alternator setup?...or maybe both? The bottom line, there?s so many variables to take into consideration that your question as to how many hours are required to do the installation is a very difficult one to answer.

I?ve installed one of theses systems before in a -7, so I?m fairly familiar with them. I?m also about to install one in my -8. Having never installed one of these systems in an -8, but at least being very comfortable with the system overall and understanding how everything works, I?m estimating it?s going to take me between 40-60 hours from start to finish.

Some guys may be able to do the job in half that time and others it may take them more than double that, but I?m guessing it?ll take me about that long to complete the entire transformation on my -8.

These systems really aren?t any different or difficult to install than anything else on the airplane. Just take your time, plan everything out, and take it one step at a time. I think once you have it installed and all dialed in, you?ll be very happy with the results.

Mark,

That makes sense - there's a lot involved here. The Glastar does have 2 small (1 quart) header tanks, one for each wing tank (all gravity fed). That would probably simplify the return fuel lines somewhat, but it's still going to be pretty involved...

Thanks for the feedback!

Does anyone here want to venture a guess as to how many hours of labor it would take to install the SDS EM-5 (ignition & injection) on an O-360 A1A, on a Glastar (relatively easy access to everything, on both sides of the firewall)?

I have installed this setup on new RV10, I am probably on the slow side of building but would estimate a at least two weeks for me without the fuel return plumbing aspect. (Just wiring and installation of the electronics). Ross has various options for mounting the coil packs, think through your wire routing aspect prior to making finalizing the coil pack mounting location decision, especially the high voltage plug wires.

- Tasks in front of you are drilling\installing magnets on Flywheel
- Mounting\installation of coil packs and wires. This aspect requires a bit of planning as you need to take care on what wires are next to the high voltage plug wired.
- Installation of fuel manifold and injectors, fuel pressure regulator
- Throttle body installation
- installation on myriad of sensors (MP, Engine temp, air temp, Throttle position sensor)

Good luck, I am getting ready for first flight. Support from Barry & Ross has been outstanding.

I have installed this setup on new RV10, I am probably on the slow side of building but would estimate a at least two weeks for me without the fuel return plumbing aspect. (Just wiring and installation of the electronics). Ross has various options for mounting the coil packs, think through your wire routing aspect prior to making finalizing the coil pack mounting location decision, especially the high voltage plug wires.

- Tasks in front of you are drilling\installing magnets on Flywheel
- Mounting\installation of coil packs and wires. This aspect requires a bit of planning as you need to take care on what wires are next to the high voltage plug wired.
- Installation of fuel manifold and injectors, fuel pressure regulator
- Throttle body installation
- installation on myriad of sensors (MP, Engine temp, air temp, Throttle position sensor)

Good luck, I am getting ready for first flight. Support from Barry & Ross has been outstanding.

Thanks Steve! Good luck on your completion and first flight!

Mark,

That makes sense - there's a lot involved here. The Glastar does have 2 small (1 quart) header tanks, one for each wing tank (all gravity fed). That would probably simplify the return fuel lines somewhat, but it's still going to be pretty involved...

Thanks for the feedback!

EFII's fuel system layout is a fuel rail layout. It absorbs a significant amount of heat as it loops around the engine because of this. Their install manual recommends a minimum header tank size of at least 3 or 5 gallons, I can't remember which.

There are some significant fuel system requirements for the current EFI systems on the market. On an RV or most other low wing it is actually simple. On high wing it should be simple, but actually isn't.

I am not familiar with the Glastar fuel system, but I bet I can take a good guess.

EFII's fuel system layout is a fuel rail layout. It absorbs a significant amount of heat as it loops around the engine because of this. Their install manual recommends a minimum header tank size of at least 3 or 5 gallons, I can't remember which.

There are some significant fuel system requirements for the current EFI systems on the market. On an RV or most other low wing it is actually simple. On high wing it should be simple, but actually isn't.

I am not familiar with the Glastar fuel system, but I bet I can take a good guess.

I've actually decided to switch to Ross Furman's SDS EM-5 system, which is slightly different from Paisley's EFII system. Not sure about the differences in installation yet, but i may try to either use the existing (small) header tanks, or install a single, larger header behind the firewall. But, i'm going to find a qualified, experienced installer to assist with both the planning and the installation...

Back