What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV10 f-1032 counter sink mistake

So I goofed and counter sunk the F-1032 longerons in the back. When looking at the picture that says where not to counter-sink I forgot that the longeron starts one hole forward. So the skins didn't get dimpled incorrectly but the longeron got counter sunk (all the holes). I think later they get counter sunk more for screws but I am not sure.

Is this a problem? I could, if really necessary, replace the longerons since im about to rivet the cone.

Section10-sample.pdf

Sean - look at page 10-25... that should give you a pretty good indication of where you will need to countersink based on rivet type. There are a few in the back that don?t get countersunk because of the fiberglass fairing that gets installed there.

Did you countersink the ones that on page 10-25 say leave open for fairing screws?

You should be Ok. Check page 12-6 for a cross-section of the fairing screws. I'm a bit surprised there is so little grip surface for the screw threads, but the similar holes for my -6A have gotten somewhat easy to turn yet I see no sign of losing a screw between inspections. So, yes, you will drill out for the screws and countersink again later.

Sean - look at page 10-25... that should give you a pretty good indication of where you will need to countersink based on rivet type. There are a few in the back that don?t get countersunk because of the fiberglass fairing that gets installed there.

Did you countersink the ones that on page 10-25 say leave open for fairing screws?

Yes, I counter sunk those. The instructions forget to mention that the angle iron (longeron) starts one hole forward. It looks like they will be fine later in the build but I just wanted to double check.

Back