What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear seat headrest

Chadmeyer24

Anyone put a headrest in the back?
If so what did ya use and do you have any pictures?

Also has anyone put any padding along the edges of the pilot seat back to save on the passengers knees/legs hitting it?

No headrest in my -4 but something as simple as a folded towel would probably fit the bill. For the edges of the pilot seat, I was contemplating angling those triangular ridges at a 45 degree. I think that would make a huge difference as those points kept nailing me in the knee when I rode backseat. I don't believe it would jeopardize the integrity of the seat back. But then again, I'll never be passenger again so.....;)

Creature comfort...

Anyone put a headrest in the back?
If so what did ya use and do you have any pictures?

Also has anyone put any padding along the edges of the pilot seat back to save on the passengers knees/legs hitting it?

Chad,
First, in 25 years of RV ownership (RV4 built, flown 1500 hours, sold, HR2, re-built, flown 1000 hours, sold...RVX flying) has given way to some good, and not so good ideas.

Back in the 90's I had a headrest on my RV4 rear seat via the rear lower canopy frame crossbar. How? I bought a "pool noodle" foam float, cut it to size, attached it to the front of the crossbar with double sticky tape temporarily for testing. Turns out resting your head against it inflight wasn't restful, more like a head massage at 2400 RPM! Flightline interiors makes one for the RV8 that could be made to fit. The issue would be opening and closing the canopy. My wife carried a small pillow that worked well. The better deal was the Rocket fast back. Much more comfortable and the RV4 can be modified...FYI :)
Idea scrapped....
Second, making the front seat less "scrape worthy" is easy. Remove the front seat back and carry it over to your handy belt sander. Sand the entire serrated edge at a 45 degree angle (as Infidel mentioned) until it's no longer threatening to bare legs.
Great idea!

Now to add one more great idea if yours isn't equipped: Rear seat foot-wells. Plans are available online, RV8 foot-wells are a bit too deep and rub on the aileron push-rods but can me made to fit. HUGE improvement in rear seat ergonomics, trust me!
Side benefit is they are great storage areas when flying solo. They can be fabricated in several evenings work...:)

V/R
Smokey

Flightline interiors headrest http://www.flightlineinteriors.com/

Rear seat foot-well plans (Thanks again to my friend Steve Sampson)

Last edited:
Pool Noodles

I second the pool noodles/pipe insulation. That is what I have on the sides of my seat for the back seater. They are just slit open length ways and then slipped over the sides of the seat. They seam to stay in place pretty well with adjustment needed from time to time to keep them in optimal position. I have the same thing around the rear canopy cross bar to allow the back seater to nap. As described it is a 2400 rpm message, but way better than the bare metal!

I converted mine to fastback but when I purchased it, there was a pad on the rear cross bar that looked pretty decent. It was the um, crotch pad for a boys bicycle. The kind that open down the side, have a pad and a cover that closes around the bar with a zipper, Velcro or buttons. They are available in nearly any color.

Some good ideas guys thanks, i will be giving something a try very soon. I'm very new to the RV4 as I just bought a flying one from a friend that I've wanted for some time now.
(Iit does have the rear seat foot wells already and yes they are nice!)

Footwells

Smokey,
The plans on the footwells also have measurements off on the sidewall lengths
The top of the footwell front to aft in the first drawing 8-1/4" vs 9" length on the sidewalk pieces. Need to double check these.
Mike

Mike,

These plans are not super precise and you need to make some adjustments and decisions as you go. I'm sure his 9" dimension is just a bulk cut-off, and then trim to fit as the plans note. Also notice he has no bend angles (aside from the flanges), so make 'em fit.

I am making a 3D CAD model of these parts right now because I want to put them in my plane. I can make all of the minor fitting adjustments in the computer. I can then create flat patterns that can be sent to a water jet shop or really any sheetmetal shop to have them cut and even bent. I have designed literally hundreds of aircraft parts this way. Another good thing about the flat patterns, you can print them full size, glue them on some sheetmetal, and then just cut to the lines. I did that for the guys in the shop and they always appreciated it for one off parts.

Not sure if you are wanting to install these or just pointing out the dimension issue. You are welcome to my flat patterns when I finish.

David,
I've already made a second set after following the measurents from these plans one the first
I just hated to see others waste material in doing so again.
I'd love to see your drawings or file to go to a cnc- we cut a lot of parts also.
Thanks
Mike

Back