What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 electric flaps

Does anyone have the drawings for electric flap conversion? Also a part number for the actuator.
The actuator P/N is ES 85615-021-1. For some reason the electric mod drawings are not where they should be in my shop but I'll keep looking. I've got the area opened up, I can take pictures of anything you need if that would help.

Edit: The photos in the link Mark Bolton provided look pretty much like the factory-designed mod, despite the comments in the link.

Last edited:
Electric flaps

Tim,
I assume you are looking to convert what you have now (manual)? I ordered mine as an option, which I believe utilizes a modified standard weldment,which cuts off the lever attachment and ads an arm below the floor. My "kit" came with the modified weldment,the actuator and a bracket for attaching the actuator to the tunnel structure. there is also a belcrank force multiplier that pivots and transmits the force from the actuator to the flap weldment. I also added an under floor position transmitter for the flap position indicator, as there are no "detents". its not really needed in daytime, but at night you cant see the flaps. I have all the drawings stored away,however, it may be as cheap to buy all the parts from Vans(comes with inst. drawings) in lieu of scrounging and modifying your welment...I absolutely love the set-up on my plane, and have it all on the stick grip. Never have to take my hand of throttle and stick.

I found my factory electric flap drawings today. If you PM me a mailing address I'll send you a copy.

Flap actuator - oil?

Have the floorboards off for some renos and I'm seeing red oil leaking out of the flap motor / actuator arm assembly. I'd appreciate suggestions. Is there a rebuild kit? Should there be oil here?

Are you sure it is oil and not grease? I've heard one of the early the versions of the electric flap system had grease in the actuator arm that sometimes heated up and migrated into the electric motor.

It's red. Looks almost like brake or hydraulic fluid. Very viscous (dripping). Placed a paper towel underneath for a couple of days, when I returned the paper was saturated. Can't be coming from anywhere else. Plane hasn't flown for a month, and flaps haven't been cycled in that time. A mystery!

Does anyone have drawings or plans for the electric flaps? Also any other source for the actuator? Vans is charging over $500 for thr kit which seems a little crazy.

Fluid leak

I had some red brake fluid get down in the belly when the brake cylinders leaked. It wasn't noticeable on the floor board until it accumulated in the center. I did the same thing with the paper towel. Put new o-rings in and it solved the problem.

Back