What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bleg: GA airport near Orlando convention center

flyeyes

Well Known Member
Hi All

I'm traveling tomorrow for business, and will be splitting my time between Boca Raton and the Orlando convention center.

KBCT is 4 miles from my destination in Boca Raton, but I'm not sure which airport is most convenient to the convention center in Orlando. I'll probably shuttle back and forth 2-3 times over 5 days.

I need access to ground transportation, and would like short taxi/good FBO/Instrument approaches.

I've been into KISM and Orlando executive, would like to avoid KMCO.

any local knowledge?

Hi All

I'm traveling tomorrow for business, and will be splitting my time between Boca Raton and the Orlando convention center.

KBCT is 4 miles from my destination in Boca Raton, but I'm not sure which airport is most convenient to the convention center in Orlando. I'll probably shuttle back and forth 2-3 times over 5 days.

I need access to ground transportation, and would like short taxi/good FBO/Instrument approaches.

I've been into KISM and Orlando executive, would like to avoid KMCO.

any local knowledge?

I grew up in Boca in the 50's and 60's, and learned to fly at KBCT in 1968. It sure has changed since then...

In college I flew out of Herndon, which I think is now Executive. I haven't been there for decades, but I think it is probably your best bet for easy transport to/from the convention center. Kissimmee is almost the same driving distance to the convention center, but I don't know if they would have the same transportation options....

KISM

I'd recommend KISM. I've been flying in and around Orlando for about 15 years and it will be much easier for you to get to the convention center from Kissimmee than from down town. The traffic alone could take an hour, depending on the time of day.

Signature Air at KISM is great. They've been pretty nice to me whenever I’ve stopped in. They can set up a rental car for you need it, and getting a cab there isn't tough either. You should have a lot less traffic coming from that direction. Also, Stallion 51 is there, so watching the P-51s is always worth a visit, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

I was at exec in February briefly (helping to ferry a helicopter to HAI) and took the family into KISM for a vacation last thanksgiving.

At KISM we used the small FBO sort of in the southeast corner. They couldn't have given better service, and arranged a plush car service for us that was significantly cheaper than a cab to universal studios.

I've been flying since 1980, and almost always had a pleasant experience at FBOs in most of the lower 48 and Hawaii. Usually interesting and helpful people. I've only had a bad experience twice that I can recall: Signature at Midway in Chicago, and Signature at New Orleans lakefront.

After the experience in New Orleans (airplane was vandalized, they wouldn't help. The other FBO assisted with repairs so we could ferry the airplane) I generally avoid signature if there is an alternative. I think they really don't want non-turbine business.

In that case, I'd stick to the smaller FBO at KISM too. I'm all for giving business to the little guy, especially after the way they've treated you in the past.

Just returned from KISM, and was well pleased with the small FBO again. Kissimee aviation (or Kissimee Jet Center). Not super plush but pleasant and helpful folks, 100LL was $4.85 which is (sadly) pretty good for the area.

Called ahead and they had a car service waiting. The driver said KISM definitely for the convention center, and also for the Disney Parks. Orlando executive is a little closer, but traffic and fuel prices are much worse. Time on the ground similar from either airport.

Back