What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New carb. Back to phase 1?

FlyFastJP

Well Known Member
Just got off the phone with MSA Carbs. The tech was stumped. Had never seen a flow bench result with both rich and lean results on one carb at the same time. So.... Aircraft Spruce got my credit card number. Overhauled one will be here next week. Problem gone...lighter wallet.

Question: I bought the same part number, 3878, but obviously it's not the same carb. Different serial number. Will I need to contact fsdo and put the plane back in to phase 1 testing?

NOPE!

Just got off the phone with MSA Carbs. The tech was stumped. Had never seen a flow bench result with both rich and lean results on one carb at the same time. So.... Aircraft Spruce got my credit card number. Overhauled one will be here next week. Problem gone...lighter wallet.
Question: I bought the same part number, 3878, but obviously it's not the same carb. Different serial number. Will I need to contact fsdo and put the plane back in to phase 1 testing?

This is considering a repair, not a change.
Prudent to perform a little flight testing before carrying passengers, but not Phase I.

It a change. Same part number 10-3878.... different serial number. MSA told me it was a lot cheaper going that route because they overhaul them on an assembly line. Cost more to have a guy do just mine.

It a change. Same part number 10-3878.... different serial number. MSA told me it was a lot cheaper going that route because they overhaul them on an assembly line. Cost more to have a guy do just mine.

Different carb is not considered a change. No Phase I.

Back