What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ONE SCREW LEFT!!!! ya - sure

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
With this post, I am documenting my alleged lack of mechanical skills, hand/eye coordination and maybe, even my lack of intelligence. I am doing this in order to give future builders a heads up on and operation that I just completed - it should have taken maybe five minutes but it took more than an hour to complete.

After finishing putting each wire of the two main wiring bundles into place in the fuselage, and checking each wire for continuity and correct pin placement by Stein, it was time to install the wiring harness shield that holds all of the wires up and off of the rudder assembly into position. One lousy screw!

First error - I found that I had placed wires from the two looms on both sides of the two center white plastic pieces that hold the rudder transverse tubing in place. All wires from the two looms should be placed outboard (to the left) of the center plastic bearing pieces. That meant that I had to remove the complete rudder assembly, and tape ALL of the wires from the loom tight against the underside of the electronics shelf. The rudder assembly in my 12 is installed with almost no clearance between the vertical sides of the tunnel and this made it fairly difficult to remove the rudder assembly. I marvel and appreciate the tight clearances that are engineered into this kit.

Second error - at this point I messed up again - while I had the rudder assembly out of the way, I should have placed the wiring harness shield into place and screwed it down - but nooooo - it was late in the evening but I feel so dumb!

So, to future builders, the best that I can recommend for you is that when you install the rudder assembly into position, bolt it up and check for correct installation, proper tolerances, etc, and then loosen up all of the bolts in anticipation that you may have to remove it in order to EASILY install the wiring harness shield in proper sequence as directed in the kit instructions. Or maybe you are a lot 'handier' than I - hope so. I'm done ranting now - finally - good building skills to you all.

Back