What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick length

Pin 21

Just setting up controls on RV7. I have a sub panel under the inst panel to carry circuit breakers about 11/4" deep. The thing is the sticks hit the panel full down and the engine controls full roll. If I cut the sticks down 2" it will clear everything. Question is how much have people cut off the sticks without causing other problems? I guess I should say how short can you make the sticks.:confused:

Last edited:
I cut the sticks down until the sticks with grips would clear the panel. Can't remember exactly how much, but 2" would be in the ball park.

When I fly, two fingers and a thumb still grip the stick 2"-3" below the top, so I could have cut off more without losing any leverage.

John

Just setting up controls on RV7. I have a sub panel under the inst panel to carry circuit breakers about 11/4" deep. The thing is the sticks hit the panel full down and the engine controls full roll. If I cut the sticks down 2" it will clear everything. Question is how much have people cut off the sticks without causing other problems? I guess I should say how short can you make the sticks.:confused:

Very common question. Sit in the plane and find the position of your arm that is most comfortable (resting on your leg, most likely). Cut to that length. It'll clear the panel easily then.

They're intentionally made/shipped very long and intended to be cut down.

I waited until I had my seats in place so I could sit in the airplane and grab the stick where it felt natural. I did this over several sessions until I found I consistently liked the same stick height, my preferred height also cleared my extended panel.

My advice is don't cut the stick down - on any account.

I have flown many RVs, to my hands those with cut down sticks feel horrible to fly compared to those with proper length sticks. This is very much a personal opinion, but one reason RVs are popular is because they feel great to fly. Cutting the stick really impacts that feel.

Move the circuit breakers - a inch or two of panel depth is not worth forever compromised handling qualities. Whatever you decide to do, with your thumb on top of the stick make sure there is clearance to the bottom of the panel.

Pete

I have a switch / breaker subpanel, as you describe, and my stick hit the panel, until I connected all the push rods.

I did cut my sticks down about an inch but that was due the overall length remained the same after the grip was installed.

Last edited:
I have the Infinity grips, I did have to cut the sticks down to avoid any contact with the stock panel or throttle while at idle, I don't remember but 2 or 3 inches? I do agree to keep them as long as possible, but you cannot be hitting the panel or throttle.

My DAR wanted clearance below panel with thumb on PTT switch.
Stick was cut 2-3 inches.
Flying with it down between knees takes about 10 minutes of getting used to, no big deal at all, 2 finger operation, smooth as silk.

I cut mine until it cleared the panel easily and was a comfortable length for hand-flying. When I got to final assembly and punch list, I found the stick - when in full forward and right position - hit the throttle when pulled all the way out. That's a showstopper for some DARs, even though the likelihood of flying with the controls in those positions is dang slim. I cut another 3/4" off to fix it.

Back