What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MID FUSE BRACE removable

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
For an old guy that don't bend well any more, that part called Mid Fuselage Brace, the part the seat back sits against, is causing me lots of pain, LOTS of pain.
I got the idea this morning, that even though it is a structural component, it can be altered to allow its removal when needing in the back spaces. This would allow for a REAL inspection of stuff back there as opposed as a painful short duration look. I see nothing in the archives about alternig this.
My question is: Has anyone else cussed that until they finally made it removable?

Don - ya want me to come over with the sawsall and wack that pesky thing out of there for you? Shouldn't take but a minute or two. :D

Joe Dallas called, we had a long chat about how he did his, I think I understand enough now to do it his way.

Got it Done

Using Joe Dallas well thought out system, I tackled that often cussed mid fuselage brace yesterday. You are all familiar with the first photo and the difficulty it poses for working on anything behind it.
14cw3rp.jpg
[/IMG]
Now look at photo two, taken 3 minutes later. Great addition for not only gaining access to the rear, but for me makes the plane safer because I can really inspect stuff instead of concentrating on getting back out of there!
118h9ms.jpg
[/IMG]
And this is how it is done. Gosh it felt good to saw away on that aggravating piece!
j6ua9c.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Out of the Box

Don
Thanks for the email thanking me for the Mid Fuse Brace Mod, this can only be accomplish after the AWC if you are not building EAB .
This is good for us old timers who can't move like the young guys.
This mod has a lot of advantages over the fixed Mid Fuse Brace.
The RV 12 is a great aircraft and this mod would be very easy for Vans to accomplish and even make it better
Don I really like you attitude on building out of the box ( this is what EAA is all about )

I wish the RV 12 was open to this as the rest of the Vans fleet
The ideas that the builders come up with can be evaluated and the good ones can improve the newest design.

Joe Dallas

Using Joe Dallas well thought out system, I tackled that often cussed mid fuselage brace yesterday. You are all familiar with the first photo and the difficulty it poses for working on anything behind it.
14cw3rp.jpg
[/IMG]
Now look at photo two, taken 3 minutes later. Great addition for not only gaining access to the rear, but for me makes the plane safer because I can really inspect stuff instead of concentrating on getting back out of there!
118h9ms.jpg
[/IMG]
And this is how it is done. Gosh it felt good to saw away on that aggravating piece!
j6ua9c.jpg
[/IMG]

Joe has that on his link he furnished, but if doing it AFTER the build, there is a slight modification I made to accommodate that. I will show some photos later today of the final product if doing this to a completed airframe. This is a real easy and quick modification, and I have really enjoyed working insid with this removed :)

What is nice is that it is very quick and easy to make the mod, and it is quick and easy to remove it, and when installed it is hardly even noticed. (of course I don't know how to make it right side up, so tilt your head to see it)
wml4s1.jpg
[/IMG]

Back