What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing Colin Walker wood prop with Sensenich aluminum on 1991 RV-4

Ham

I have an older RV-4 (1991). I'm having to replace my Coin Walker wood prop and have just received my new Sensenich aluminum prop. The old spinner (12" diameter) doesn't fit the prop tightly. There are gaps where the blades exit the spinner. Van's replaced the 12" spinners and back plates with 13" in 1995. If I can't make the old spinner and its accessories work, what are the best options for a new spinner?

Aircraft Spruce BN-4

I have an older RV-4 (1991). I'm having to replace my Coin Walker wood prop and have just received my new Sensenich aluminum prop. The old spinner (12" diameter) doesn't fit the prop tightly. There are gaps where the blades exit the spinner. Van's replaced the 12" spinners and back plates with 13" in 1995. If I can't make the old spinner and its accessories work, what are the best options for a new spinner?

Correction : correct part # is BN3
I used a 12” polished aluminum spinner from Aircraft Spruce on the original cowl on my 4. I still have the spinner but the it has been cut for a Performance Propeller wood prop. You will need to order the correct bulkheads for the thinner aluminum prop as well. I’ve always liked polished aluminum spinners on RV’s as mine now has cut down Hartzell Aluminum 13” spinner that is 15.5” long and has the sharp point. Interesting note the Hartzell spinner has an almost invisible welded seam. In order to get the sharp point it is rolled just like a sno-cone cup. The “ Spun” spinners formed on a spinning lathe have the bullet nose profile as this method only allows the soft aluminum to be formed in a more gentle curve without cracking .

Last edited:
Back