What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can't figure out which connector (Molex woes)...

Reflex

Well Known Member
Having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to get the Molex connector below to fit in the allotted slot. Right now the connector is significantly too small. See pictures below. The plans picture comes from page 19-02. I have a roughly 1/4" gap between the connector and the length of the hole. Both harnesses are this way.

I've viewed a couple of web sites (E's and Shawn aka: Mudfly) and it looks like their connectors fit perfectly. I purchased additional connectors three different times as I'm planning to build my own harnesses since Van's harnesses came up short and the connector doesn't fit. Unfortunately, no matter what I try I can't find a connector to fit in the slot.

In speaking with Van's tech, I was told that the other side of the harness (WH-000125 not provided) would fill the gap or just to fill it with RTV. Filling with RTV is absolutely out of the question. So, I called Stein, ordered the connector that goes on WH-00125....no luck with the fit. A picture of the connector that comes with WH-000125 is shown in picture #3 along with the original harness and the Molex connector that was ordered based on other web sites.

I'm hoping some of you here can tell me what you did to get the right connector or what I'm doing wrong.

2vs5g05.jpg

a9va4x.jpg

349b0j4.jpg

2iscu2f.jpg

Many thanks,

Fred

Last edited:
It's been a while, but I seem to remember the extra width was for the ears on the female plug (shown in your pic) to lock it into the slot

The right wing takes a 9-pin and a 12-pin, the left is a pair of 9's. The part isn't the same left and right. W-1029D has a L/R to it.

I'm not at the hangar to see my setup but my plugs/jacks fit perfectly such that the stock vans wing wiring snapped right into place no gaps to fill.

Key is that it isn't the fuse side wire that snaps into the holes; it is the wing side wire connector that snaps into those holes; so that the wing harness goes secured with the wing. When the wing is mounted the connector on the fuse side mates with what W-1029D-L/R is holding.

Many thanks for the replies.

Key is that it isn't the fuse side wire that snaps into the holes; it is the wing side wire connector that snaps into those holes; so that the wing harness goes secured with the wing. When the wing is mounted the connector on the fuse side mates with what W-1029D-L/R is holding.

This is absolutely the issue and it is the opposite of what I was told by tech. The problem is that the Molex connector on WH-00011 has no ears to secure it to W-1029D. WH-00011 (wing tip lighting harness) is identical for each wing and contains the connector that will not fit snugly into the carrier (W-1029D).

What I have learned after extensive research is that the Molex connector used on earlier kits is Molex part number 03-09-2091. This is the part that can be seen on the web pages referenced earlier.

This part(03-09-2091 also known as 1292-P2) is no longer being manufactured by Molex and the replacement (03-09-2092 also known as 1292-P1) does not have ears/tabs. The result is that the connector cannot be secured to W-1029D.

The short version is that it appears that the wing tip lighting harnesses that are being shipped with later versions of the -14 will not fit properly.

See links below for reference:

Molex: https://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0003092091_CRIMP_HOUSINGS.xml

Data Sheet from Molex note the Part Number Column on page 3 upper left-hand corner: https://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/003092091_sd.pdf

Last edited:
You are correct, I looked it up on Mouser and a GCN letter states "This letter is being sent to announce that part 3092091 is being made obsolete because the tooling is worn beyond repair and low customer demand."

Not enough demand to warrant making a new mold for it. That's pretty low demand!

It does look like the female side of the assembly is still available with ears. So you could buy that and let the fuse side of the assembly hold the pair.... Or modify the pair so that the wing side is the female side.... choices....

This is about the time a few chime in to just skip the molex and do it another way.

JDA,

Thanks for the reply. I saw those on Ebay and almost went that route, however I was afraid that the item may be some sort of knock-off instead of Molex so I passed.

After looking through about every source I could find, I finally found a company that has inventory so I ordered 6. We'll see how they look when they get here. If that doesn't work, I decided last night to use that female side of the connector which fits (has ears). Of course that means that I'll have to cut the ends/pins off all the wires off and replace them with females.

Can't believe it has taken me so long to run/build two simple wiring harnesses. With the right parts and knowledge it's a 2-3 hour process at most. I've been at the computer looking for data on wiring size, shielding, grounding, and now connectors for almost a month.

I've decided that building the airplane is the easy part, gaining the knowledge to do it properly is what takes the time.

Thanks again for the responses.

Fred

Consider: One method for securing the connectors is to wrap a small zip tie around both the male and the female connectors (the ones that are connected), running the zip tie all the way around both connectors. That is, passing through the center of the back side of each between the wires on the wire insertion side of the connectors and around the bracket that they are inserted into. Or something similar.

As I?ve posted in the past, the RV-14 wiring kit for me at least caused more pain than good. This is most applicable to builders who don?t want to produce an exact replica of the Van?s RV-14 (as in using something other than Garmin G3X, their stick grip, their lights, mounting headset jacks in more practical location, using shielded wire for nav/strobes, etc.).

Builders might want to just do it like all the builders of previous RV kits. Follow accepted practices and run the wires yourself. Just consider the hundreds of options for wing and other wiring connectors - including no connectors at all. You can add a service loop for the the outside chance the wings ever do come off.

BUT - I know many builders want to ?get the kit? for everything. No worries - it will still fly like an RV. I recommend for something as simple as a Molex connector, switches or such spend some time on line with Allied Electronics and find something that works. Don?t let it stop your build.

Carl

Back