What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 696 for the Rear Seat Passenger

Crossbow

Well Known Member
Hello all!

While I am still a good way from actually implementing this idea, I would still like to do a bit of advance planning.

So, to those of you who are familiar with the RV-8 and the Garmin 696, do you think it would be possible to mount a 696 on the back plate of the front seat? I would like to provide my passenger with a way to track the progress of the flight, see upcoming weather, listen to music, and generally give him something to do should he get bored.

If such a thing seems feasible, then I will work out the details at the appropriate time.

Thanks in advance.

My opinion is that you will find the 696 to be awful large for the back seat position. Many of us have put 396/496's on a simple bracket for the purposes you describe, and they work well. The 696 is much larger, and you'd want to do a fit check with all the cushions installed in the back before going that way. The 696 might even interfere with the rear seat stick.

Paul

You might want to look at the AvMap unit.

It is almost the same size as the Garmin, but it can be configured to landscape instead of portrait like the Garmin.

This should give you more room, and they are available at a good price.

There is one for sale right now in the classified section.

Good luck, post some photos of whatever you end up with.

this is all you needed :)

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=45170

Rush%20City%20154.jpg

My opinion is that you will find the 696 to be awful large for the back seat position. Many of us have put 396/496's on a simple bracket for the purposes you describe, and they work well. The 696 is much larger, and you'd want to do a fit check with all the cushions installed in the back before going that way. The 696 might even interfere with the rear seat stick.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

Well, since I am not going to put in a stick in the back, stick interference is not an issue. Therefore, with that in mind, do you think that a 696 would fit into that location?

You might want to look at the AvMap unit.

It is almost the same size as the Garmin, but it can be configured to landscape instead of portrait like the Garmin.

This should give you more room, and they are available at a good price.

There is one for sale right now in the classified section.

Good luck, post some photos of whatever you end up with.

Thanks Mike!

That looks like a good unit, however I would like something with the XM Radio feature as well.

Thanks for the thought!

However, I would like the unit to have the XM Radio and XM Weather as well.
Sounds like a used 396 or 496 is the ticket. You can put additional XM Radios onto your account for about $6/mo, but I think additional XM WX units cost the full amount.

TODR

Sounds like a used 396 or 496 is the ticket. You can put additional XM Radios onto your account for about $6/mo, but I think additional XM WX units cost the full amount.

TODR

Thanks Doug!

You are correct, a 396 or 496 unit would do the trick! It would do everything I want and be much cheaper to boot.

However, I would think that the larger screen on the 696 is better suited for 'in-flight entertainment' (as it were). Therefore, I would still like to know if it is feasible to mount a 696 in the back plate of the front seat which the person in the back seat could use.

Avmap EKP IV

I have an Avmap mounted to my back seat for my wife and it fits perfectly. XM weather is now an option and for the price you can have both and still get several bottles of Silver Oak to celebrate your trips with your significant other.

I have it mounted horizontally, riveted to the seat back and have a stick in the back. No problem even with a six footer riding along yet.

4018032274_bac0b160c3.jpg

Last edited:
696 will work

I traveled to OSH this year in the back seat of my friends -8. I'm a six footer. I have a 696 that I'm installing in the panel of my -8 but it is easy to remove and use stand alone. I took it with me on the trip. I used the included R.A.M. bracket to mount it on the right side of the front seat tubular support structure. Worked really well. Very solid mount and was easily removed for stowage. Wasn't in the way at all and the larger display was a huge advantage.

JB
819WB

My 696 is bolted to a flat plat that was modified from my former use of a 496. The advantage is little additional depth by eliminating swivel mounts, etc. This assembly is then thumb screwed to the corner of my 6A for easy removal.

L.Adamson

Back