What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into San Diego

C-GTDP

A couple CDN snowbirds staying in Phoenix for the season and are planning a flight into San Diego for a couple days. We are looking at Brown Field (SDM) or Palomar (CRQ). Any recommendations, are there other choices? Best FBO? We are planning at least one day downtown at Midway museum. Thanks

Russ. C-GTDP

Brown is kind of in the middle of nowhere and more run down, but has the cheapest fuel. Palomar is more high class, probably has more hotel and transportation options, but I know nothing about their FBOs. Montgomery KMYF is a nice location, close to town, but not too close. Depends what you are looking for.

Have used KMYF Montgomery VFR from PHX a few times and think it works out just fine. Once had to stop at Ramona (clear) and wait for a couple hours for fog to clear at Montgomery. Great place for lunch. On the way out Montgomery was clear and Ramona was fogged in. :) Who knows so give yourself an option
A visit to The Midway will be a great time
Larry

I got my PPL at Montgomery too many decades ago. It's the most centrally located and the one I would recommend. Brown's good for clearing customs when returning from Mexico, but not much else and it's not close to anything. Palomar is worth flying into... if I could be based at any airport on the planet that would be the one, but it's not very close to San Diego proper.

Ahh, fog. Typically Montgomery is the one socked in and Ramona is clear! The coastal airports, even as far in as Montgomery, get the marine layer. But this time of year is pretty unpredictable, especially with el nino.

Ramona is easy. Pacific Executive has a courtesy car, and Enterprise rental car is in town. Ramona is about a 45 minute drive to Downtown SD. If you want to get around by public transportation, then Gillespie in El Cajon will work. You can catch the trolley near the airport and it will take you downtown.

Other airports to visit

I'm partial to Ramona - easy in/out, friendly tower, RV/experimental friendly.

That said, you might consider some other stops on the way in or out:
Casa Del Zorro (fly to Borrego Valley Airport, L08, call for courtesy car) is a fascinating desert retreat, just minutes away from RNM.

Flabob is the home of EAA Chapter 1, and lots of history. The approach is interesting ("fly at the cross until you're too close, then turn base") and the restaurant is a neighborhood icon.

Catalina Island's "Airport in the Sky" (KAVX) also has an interesting approach.

Big Bear Airport (L35) is a great destination if the weather is cooperative.

Nice

Looks like your getting lots of good spots. Enjoy the trip Russ.

Retiring with an Rv..... what more could you want. :)

San Diego Airport

Thanks all, looks like Montgomery may be the best field if going downtown destination. Anyone have a good area in mind to get a hotel. Gaslight area?

Concur on MYF. $6/night overnight fee, can't beat that.

Look into how to do a coastal transition while you are there, you can fly down to Point Loma and up the channel below 1000'; it's worth the experience.

Little Italy

We love flying into MYF. Great services and not to far from the coast.

Last time we went we got a room in the area called Little Italy. It is on India street. Do a hotel search using "little italy". It is close to downtown and the Midway. We rented bikes, left the car parked and rode bike paths up and down the coast from Harbor island to the SD convention center.

On Saturdays they close a couple streets and have a farmers market in Little Italy.

If can't file IFR arriving and leaving in the afternoon will be your bet bet for VFR conditions. Many times we have had to file IFR for a late morning departure only to arrive to VFR conditions in the early afternoon.

SD is a great place to visit.

A friend of mine had to do some commuting to downtown. He chose KSAN, which he said was fairly reasonable, considering no landing fee, and you are already downtown. Fuel is a little higher of course.

I like MYF too. The Convoy District right near by on Convoy Ave has some of the best food anywhere, too. :)

Last edited:
Going into MYF, approach control may keep you way high east of the airport because of the possibility of severe downdrafts if the wind is from the west.

Back