What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS vs. TruTrak AP

lr172

Well Known Member
I will likely be putting an AFS (5600) system in my 10 or possibly a GRT HXr. I am considering a TruTrak Vizion 385 for AP. I am told the integration is good between the systems and it should operate in a well integrated fashion and I would have a redundant backup tool for IFR op's.

I know TT has a very good reputation and have been wondering about the comparison of performance between the AFS autopilot (their S/W & servos) and the TruTrak Vizion. Has anybody flown behind both that can share their experience? I am currently flying behind the GRT, but never with TT. I flew Dynon's early AP (D100) and it was good, but not great.

EFIS will be fed from a 430W.

Larry

Last edited:
AFS

Since you've indicated your planning on installing AFS EFIS I recommend staying with them for the Autopilot. In fact I recommend all their avionics.
I installed their autopilot and find it very dependable and easy to operate. The default settings work wonderfully in maintaining a smooth track and altitude.
If I recall correctly, the AFS unit is a "branded" TruTrack.

IF you can afford it you may want to investigate the AFS panels. They may save a lot of your time and frustration.

Since you've indicated your planning on installing AFS EFIS I recommend staying with them for the Autopilot. In fact I recommend all their avionics.
I installed their autopilot and find it very dependable and easy to operate. The default settings work wonderfully in maintaining a smooth track and altitude.
If I recall correctly, the AFS unit is a "branded" TruTrack.

IF you can afford it you may want to investigate the AFS panels. They may save a lot of your time and frustration.

The AFS branded external AP is the Vizion AP. I was asking about the new integrated AFS AP (Dynon servos and AFS s/w controlling them). However, yours is strong testimonial for the Vizions performance with the AFS EFIS.

Larry

I have the afs 5600 with Vizion 385, works great. Have tt servos which limits operation for ias climb. For some reason this requires Dynon servos, but still operates nicely with vs climb.

The integration between the 2 is fantastic. They've always worked very closely to insure that.

Vic

I had the original AFS Pilot, which was a slightly modified Digiflight II. I upgraded to a Vizion when I upgraded from 4500s to 5600s.

Historically, I've been a fan of standalone AP heads, so if the PFD should ever fail, I can still use the AP in manual mode to fly if I'm in IMC. Since all the major EFIS vendors have their own servos now and have a good track record, I think the PFD failure is a very minimal risk.

The only other function that I think the Vision adds is the emergency button that will level the wings and fly on the current course, should the pilot ever be incapacitated.

The advantages for the Dynon servos are cost, IAS control, and the SV-AP-Panel. You basically save to cost of the Vizion AP head and the wiring is less completed. (i.e. everything is on the SV network instead of the ARINC) The Vizion can't be updated fast enough to have the AP fly by IAS, especially on approach. The I suspect this may be more of a SV Network versus ARINC latency issue. The Vizion is controlled by the vertical speed setting and you have to manually control your air speed. The SV-AP-Panel also adds trim speed control in addition to the dedicated buttons.

If I was building from scratch again, I would probably go with the Dynon servos. Either solution works well and AFS provides great support for both products.

I would give Rob a call and chat about this. He's always upfront and honest with his recommendations. There may also be differences that I'm not aware of either that he could bring to light.

Last edited:
Just installed the 5600T with my TT Vizion

Works great! ---- I did, also, just install the AFS push-button AP panel, so I did not have to use the screen for the AP control ---- With my G650, the coupled approaches are just plain fun!

R.

Since you mentioned possibly a GRT EFIS, I?ll describe my set up: GRT Hx and a Trio Pro autopilot. Integration is very good, it can fly from just after lift-off to just before the flare, all I do is the throttle/mixture. I recommend you get the auto-trim option. I chose the Trio because I like its clutch design, totally out of the loop when off. Plus its display of a symbolic turn coordinator and digital altitude. I also like the ability to fine tune the trim even when hand flying. But I?m sure the TruTrak, or the GRT autopilot, also work well. I decided that, for me, having a fully independent stand-alone autopilot was worth the $1K cost differential over the EFIS autopilot.

I have the original AF Pilot and the integration with the AFS panel is spot on. Never had any problems with it.

I also fly a Cirrus with an upgraded autopilot that on its own cost much more than the entire panel in the RV. There is no noticeable difference in performance.

Apart from the AF Pilot has its own control head and so you can engage the autopilot with a simple push of the button on the front. Simple and my most often used mode in the RV.

Back