- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-26-2018, 08:47 PM

Default Panel Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
It's a case of not being able to please everyone unfortunately. Some want a 2.25 inch display but it becomes too small to use and display anything usefully.

We may continue to offer the current 3 1/8 round programmer for those with limited panel space as well as the newer, larger one. Not as flashy but perfectly functional.

We don't have plans to develop two new displays of different sizes however which would be too expensive and time consuming.

The 5 X 4 is not set in stone yet but looks like we're headed that way at this time. We'd have liked to integrate with the popular EFIS' but one manufacturer questions the amount of units they would sell configured to control SDS and whether they could justify the engineering time to expend in that direction. I understand that. If we can't do it with both of the big 2, it won't fly.
In my RV-8, panel space is a premium. Iíd prefer a 3 1/8Ē instrument or even better, something that would interface with my G3X. The current programmer suits my space requirement but no offense, itís has a face only a mother could love.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 AM

Default EM-5 Controller

I was able to mount my EM-5 controller without using any panel space. A simple vinyl overlay will allow for any color scheme to match your interior. With that said I have already found a good spot in my -14 for the newly planned 5x4” EM-6 screen and a black bezel with touch screen buttons (or gray buttons) would avoid my creating a new overlay.

RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 175+
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by M McGraw : 03-27-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4way View Post
In my RV-8, panel space is a premium. Iíd prefer a 3 1/8Ē instrument or even better, something that would interface with my G3X. The current programmer suits my space requirement but no offense, itís has a face only a mother could love.
Unless the big G wants to play ball and initial talks were not so positive, the EFIS thing won't happen, much as we'd all like.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 03-27-2018, 05:52 AM

I liked what Marvin did to change the look of the current programmer. Very clever.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 422 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Old 03-27-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M McGraw View Post
I was able to mount my EM-5 controller without using any panel space. A simple vinyl overlay will allow for any color scheme to match your interior. With that said I have already found a good spot in my -14 for the newly planned 5x4Ē EM-6 screen and a black bezel with touch screen buttons (or gray buttons) would avoid my creating a new overlay.

That looks great. How did you go about getting that done? Did you have to lay the graphics out in cad or something and take it to a graphics shop?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Unless the big G wants to play ball and initial talks were not so positive, the EFIS thing won't happen, much as we'd all like.
Thatís a shame. Iím guessing they might miss out on a few sales if Dynon were to play ball and they donít. That would of been enough to steer me to Dynon rather than Garmin if the option were available when I was shopping for avionics this summer. I guess they would have to determine the cost of engineering vs the estimated lost sales.

How about a display like the G5 unit they sell?
Old 03-27-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
That’s a shame. I’m guessing they might miss out on a few sales if Dynon were to play ball and they don’t. That would of been enough to steer me to Dynon rather than Garmin if the option were available when I was shopping for avionics this summer. I guess they would have to determine the cost of engineering vs the estimated lost sales.

How about a display like the G5 unit they sell?
Dynon showed more interest but like I said, we won't do it unless both are on board as it leaves around 40% of the market with no good solution. We don't have the time or resources to develop multiple display solutions and I'd have to say, doing the EFIS thing would give us an unknown development timetable as we are at their mercy which I don't fancy too much. Hard to head down a path of uncertainty you have little control over.

Something like this might come well down the road as it's certainly the nicest overall solution, but it would take a long time to co-develop with these two companies, if they were willing

The display we're evaluating now is similar to the G5 but larger. It's hard to find a quality, sunlight readable, large temperature range, wide viewing angles, vibration proven MFD at a price and size that fits this market. We won't use cheap displays with questionable support or future availability concerns. I believe this display can be mounted in Portrait mode which would make it around the same width as a G5.

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 03-27-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:16 AM

Default Self sticking vinyl overlay

Quote:
That looks great. How did you go about getting that done? Did you have to lay the graphics out in cad or something and take it to a graphics shop?
I dropped off my controller at a local graphics shop and went to work for the week. When I came back it was done! (That was the easiest part of building)

There was a minimum order because his printer was 3’ wide, so I had him print a few of them and some other stickers I wanted. You can pick any color under the rainbow. I doubt SDS will ever be able to find a color the entire market agrees upon so I just did my own, besides this way I have extras if they get damaged or fade. It is exterior grade vinyl.
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 175+
2018 Dues Paid

Last edited by M McGraw : 03-27-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-27-2018, 09:43 AM

Great, thanks. Iíll look in to it more. I like the way youíre turned out.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM

With the new display and ECU, do you anticipate having the same controls (ie Mixture knob, ECU selector switch, LOP switch) input? I'm planning my panel and would like to plan ahead.
N1017H Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2018 VAF Dues Paid!