What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy hitting forward top skin.

rv8gibbo

Well Known Member
Hi Guys, I've seen a post similar to this before but I going to double check if It's ok to cut the aft most section of the top skin completely off to stop the canopy frame from hitting the skin? Also what should be the gap between the roll bar and canopy frame when the frame is completely closed?

Cheers Gibbo
2015-01-06075836_zpse87a238f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yep, chop away. Many of us have done just that and trimmed that forward skin back to clear. The fiberglass strip will cover that area later on when you finish up the canopy. As for how close to match the roll bar to slider frame? A range of alignments will work out just fine. I've seen them very tight on some planes, on mine it worked out a bit farther apart and it worked just fine. I have about 1/2 inch between the bars (which is about the outer limit I think) I did need to support the glass / carbon when laying it over the top so as not to sag down into that gap, but once the strip is in place it's all sealed up nicely. Just work on getting the frame to slide in place nicely and the latch to operate correctly and you should be good to go.

14163830842_9c00a15031_b.jpg

Last edited:
Your cut line looks good

+1 for "chop away" using your cut line. I did the same on mine.

Back