What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS out by 3/32

Roo747

Hi Gang,

I have been working on mounting the HS and VS and i measured a few times of course and had it pretty well perfectly square. However with it being a QB and tough access, after all the cursing, I mean drilling, was finished, I ended up being out by about 3/32 of an inch measured as per the plans from the top of the VS to the outboard HS.

Waiting to hear back from Vans but does anyone know if that is within limits?

Thanks

Andrew

I've seen them out by several inches, not fractions of an inch, and they still flew fine. Not recommending that, but I hate to see guys fret needlessly over minor imperfections.

Do your best, but keep pluggin' away and asking questions when not sure!

Hi Gang,

I have been working on mounting the HS and VS and i measured a few times of course and had it pretty well perfectly square. However with it being a QB and tough access, after all the cursing, I mean drilling, was finished, I ended up being out by about 3/32 of an inch measured as per the plans from the top of the VS to the outboard HS.

Waiting to hear back from Vans but does anyone know if that is within limits?

Thanks

Andrew

I had roughly about the same amount or less (if I remember correctly) and no matter how much I tried to get it perfectly square to each HS tip, it would shift back. The plane has not been flying over 4.5 years and nearly 450 hours with no issues. It flies straight and trimming is no issue at all. I only find myself yearning for more speed.

Bragging rights

It is nice to brag on yourself or your work from time to time. With less than 5mm. you are doing a grate job, keep up the good work..
Yours as always R.E.A. III # 80888

thanks very much everyone who replied.

Just like to make sure. Also, as per vans instruction and their reply to my question regarding offsetting the VS, they recommend straight because of so many possible engine/prop configurations and just using a trim tab.

Cheers

Andrew

You got it..

Yep, right down the middle. We know you can hold to less than 3/16th. so you will be fine, on the line. Yours as always R.E.A. III # 80888

Back