What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another new RV-6A owner

Malndi

Well Known Member
Hi from Perth, Western Australia

Long time lurker now with a reason to introduce myself and my new (to me) aircraft, and to thank everyone who has posted here to create a valuable knowledge base that contributed to my decision to buy an RV and also to be quite comfortable with that decision.

I had envisaged buying in the US and/or flying my new aircraft on an epic two-day flight home from the eastern states of Australia. But ultimately I found an RV6A at a local airfield. The pre-buy inspection went well and combined with the accessibility of it, including the option of taking over the hangar spot, I ran out of reasons not to buy it.

It's a locally built 1998 model with a standard O320/FP prop configuration. I like that it has manual flaps and trims which I find ads something for the pilot that was missing in the highly competent but uninspiring G1000 equipped Cessna's I was renting.

My wife has been very supportive of the RV decision and is looking forward to her first flight in it when I complete transition training. In the mean time she has been working through colour samples from Classic Aero.

We have a few upgrades planned but I didn't waste any time upgrading the front end. I was a little spooked about the nose wheel issue due to there being few sealed runways in Western Australia and also because I planned to home-base at an unsealed airfield. In the first week of ownership I ordered a Beringer nose wheel from Aeromotive in New Zealand and of course the nose job and lip skid from anti-splat.

Looking forward to many flying adventures and enjoying the good company and information here at VAF.

Photo coming right up.

Cheers Mal

Photo (I hope)

photo-170785.jpg

Last edited:
Nice

Congratulations Mal, and welcome to VAF.

Good move on the nose job and skid. RV 6's have very effective controls and you can keep the nose light for a long ways with full up elevator.

Best,

Mal:

Congratulations and good luck with your new RV-6! Like you, I am a new owner and have really been enjoying the plane. I'm sure you will too. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Take care down there,
Hank

Hey neighbor

Hey Mal

I noticed a picture on whitegum facebook couple of days ago, I believe its you with the your new toy at whitegum farm?

I got my RV6 hangared in bindoon, about 16min flight from you. Feel free to drop in one day if your looking for a spot to fly 2.

Enjoy the new machine

AJ

Thanks fellas

That was probably me AJ. We've been close to the white gum crowd for a few years and I relocated the RV from Northam to white gum on Saturday. Despite the lumpy conditions over the weekend it handled 14/32 well and with the nose wheel mods I feel reasonably confident operating from there. Thanks for the invite, will definitely drop into Bindoon one weekend, I've seen photos of your 6 and would love to see it in the flesh. Say hi to Werner and Renae.

Back