What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My new Ride (RV-6A)

Latintan

Well Known Member
Just bought this beauty. 0-320 8.5 gph. Did 185 mph with 1600+ fpm the other day in sunny (HOT) Florida! Panel can use an upgrade but that is coming

It IS beautiful!!!

Congratulations!!!

And BTW, compared to the panel of the RV-6 I purchased last Thursday yours look like completely modern!!! :)

9fof3k.jpg

10xvtps.jpg

Thanks guys. Chris, your panel looks super nice. The panel looks very symmetrical. Mine needs a bit of cleanup but I'll get to it in the coming weeks. Nice airplane by the way! Congrats to you too.

Congrats, I really like your paint scheme and colors.
I am on my second purchased RV and really enjoy flying them.
You will like making changes for a ton less than if it were a certified aircraft. Enjoy.

Thanks Mike. You are absolutely correct on the panel lights. That will be a priority. This panel will look nicer very soon with some personal touches. On the -14, the jury is still out. I will finish the wings for sure. The 6 was intended to be an interim upgrade from a Cherokee 140 until I finished the 14. Depending on how the 6 turns out, the need for the -14 might no longer exist. Keep tuned!

Manny, where are you based? I live in Salt Springs and my plane is hangared at Palatka (28J). But my fiance lives on the east side of Orlando and I am down there quite a bit. Maybe we can meet up some time and compare new planes?

Well taht makes 3 of us.

I also have a new to me RV6A. Sorry I failed at the photo posting thing, working on it.

Mine has a very similar panel to the two above with round holes everywhere...

I thought I would share my panel upgrade strategy as it is somewhat unusual. I am using my airplane for business related travel on a regular basis and do not want to take it out of service for any lengthy period of time for upgrades.

Also, I already have all of the main parts and pieces of a Skyview system that I am stealing off of my 7A project, (long story).

I plan to pre-wire the ADHARS, Pitot / AOA / OAT, Servos etc etc and have all that ready to go. Then in order to get to autopilot functionality ASAP, I will pull the vacuum system, and the 6 pack from the panel. Then, after making a good template for a replacement panel that Stein can digitize from, I will cut the Skyview in to replace the six pack. This will not be real pretty but it looks like it will work.

Stein needs the template for the 6 since it is not matched hole.

Later I will do a similar process with the right side panel, eliminating all the engine monitor round holes to allow for the EMS220 to come into play on the Skyview.

Then I will have a whole bunch of empty round holes in the panel and it will be pretty ugly, but I plan to have Stein build up new panel pieces for me while re arranging several things to make room for IFR GPS etc.

So that is the plan so far. Given my work schedule I am having second thoughts about jumping into this, but the pre wiring items will not take the plane out of service for more than a few hours at a time, all good. I may need to take a week off the actually change out the panel, the first time:)

I guess I should mention that my panel is split down the middle allowing me to do this in 2 stages.

Mine has IO360 with older Hartzel CS, slider also, nice paint with a few chips etc, about 800 hrs.

I fly regular 2.5 to 3 hour legs between Carlsbad NM and Sedona AZ. An auto pilot will be wonderful to have on these trips.

After flying the 7 with left hand throttle right hand stick, I have had to re activate my left hand to flying duties, but if a learning curve.

Running LOP allows me to have some comfort in making the nearly 3 hour flight with no fuel stop. If I do not run LOP it gets a little too close for comfort and I do miss those extra few gallons that the 7 carries.

Planning dual Pmags soon also:)

Randall in Carlsbad

Nice looking 6A

Manny,

Congratulations on the purchase. Very nice looking bird. Enjoy!

Fernando

Nice plane!

Congratulations on your purchase. Looks great!

I recommend you check the AN5 bolt that secures the nose strut into the engine mount. If it fails this can happen. :eek:

91dbbe08cb8bb280b0a6243d8dccbb11_zps00760136.jpg

I'm the 3rd owner with no regrets, although I'm still working the repairs to resume flying.

Carl

Chris, hangared at Sanford International. Would love to get together some day. Just let me know when.

Randall, I hear you. My thoughts are similar to you. However, I am lucky for now that I have the Cherokee and can fly it while the RV is down. My issue is that glass panel avionics are too quickly evolving to know exactly what I want at this time. I will probably just fly the plane as is for a while

Carl, sorry to see that picture! I was unaware of the AN5 issue. First thing to check when I bring her home

Very nice paint scheme. It will get noticed on the hamburger runs....
Good purchase. Panel just gives you projects for the future...

Holy cow!!! I thought someone had broken into our hangar and stolen our plane. I know you will enjoy flying yours as much as we have ours. I'm sure we'll meet at some time at a fly in. Paint scheme is hard to beat.

Congrats Manny !!!

Great to see another RV join the KSFB RV airforce. Nice looking airplane, I'm sure you'll love flying it.
If you're ready, a couple of us are heading to Triple Tree this Friday. Might as well join us. Let us know if there's anything you need.
See you out there...

Thanks Curt. I would have loved to Join Tripple Tree but heading to Europe. Will not be around- not even to enjoy looking at the RV. I can't wait to soar with you eagles. You guys will no longer have to wait for me. See you soon.

Woodmanrog! Whoa! That is awesome. How dare you :) I know this is not a unique paint scheme but it does look very nice. Nice looking plane by the way. I can't wait to put my personal touches on the lady (we call her Tweety Bird).

Back