What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 to IO-360 conversion

Lando

I'm New Here
Gents,

I am starting the groundwork to swap my O-320 (which will be for sale by the way, 510 SMOH) for an IO-360. Will this require a different engine mount or will the Dyna I have now work?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Lando

I don't know about the 6, but for the 7/9, I believe that the Vans engine mount for a 320 is about 2" longer, from what I have heard, to make up for CG differences. That being said, I have heard of people using a 360 engine on the 320 mount, so it may not be a deal breaker, especially if using a fixed pitch prop.

Chris

Lando,

Since the cases are the same and only cylinders are different, engine mounts for one should work for the other. Of course, you should look at potential CG issues as already noted.

Before Welcome Wagon Mike gets to you, let me welcome you to VAF! I note you are in Reno, give me a pm if you want to meet up with some other RVers.

Greg

Doug Reeves made this swap on his -6 and he will be able to telll you if you can use the same engine mount. Bryan Jones AKA LowPass also made this swap and retained his engine mount.

I believe you willbbe ok bot do not know for certain as I don't recall Doug having to shorten his cowl.

When I replaced my O-290 with an O-360, I did have to change engine mounts but that was because the mount used for the O-235 and O-290 is two inches shorter than what I have now.

Here is a partIal list of things that will need to be changed/replaced:
Baffles
Exhaust
FAB
Prop & spinner, if fixed pitch or depending on which CS prop you have.

Your accessories should move over without an issue.

Last edited:
If the IO-360 has vertical induction then you will need to redo the lower cowl air inlet scoop due to the height of the fuel servo.

The -6 mounts are identical and the cowl length is only dependent on the length of the prop spacer used.

If you go from a FP with a 4 inch spacer to the usual CS props (2.25 equiv. spacer) then the cowl will be shorter.

The cowl scoops are different due to the larger carb on the O-360s.

The IO ones will depend on the system you buy.

I checked this when I changed my mind and went to a O-360 instead of an O-320.

Thanks for all the input

Gents,

Thank you all for the input. I've got my work cut out for me, but all appears doable.

Lando

Back