What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cost to build an RV-7?

joe1968

Well Known Member
Considering building a rv 7 to use as a everyday ride and at the same time compete in sport air racing. Any estimates on what my costs will be and engine suggestions also appreciated.

Thanks Joe

I'd wager it'll be $100000...if you are careful and build a simple VFR XC/sport plane.

If you are thinking of doing Sport Air Racing League, choice will dictate what class you run in. RV Red is 320cuin and under, RV Blue is 360 or less, RV gold is over 360cu in.

RV Blue is the most competitive class, which makes for much fun, but tougher to win. RV gold or Red, you might be running with no competition at many races. My plane is reasonably fast but best I do is 3rd or 4th in RV blue. I race against the clock and just try to get better each race when I run. Although I felt pretty special the day I squeaked out a win over Bob Axsom.

Rv7

Go slow build , look for deals as you go along . Do not purchase any avionics until the wings are on , and engine mounted !
Budget $70,000

Best way to keep the total cost down is to buy a partially built kit from someone who isn't going to finish it. I went full slow build, glass panel (VFR), rebuilt engine and it still cost quite a bit more than I thought it would. But I did 100% of the work to build it, and it is exactly what I wanted. Still much cheaper than a factory built airplane!

Just finished my -9A and have all the receipts. Been contemplating adding them all up on a spreadsheet and making it available here. I sorted them by vendor a couple weeks ago, but haven't tallied it up yet. I'm kind if wondering if anyone would be offended by being so transparent on a open forum like this. Maybe I could just email it to people. I guess in hind sight that whole unknown was sort of the thrill of the hunt. And of course, what you spend is so highly variable... All I can say is I'm not looking forward to the CA use tax next year:eek:

Best way to keep the total cost down is to buy a partially built kit from someone who isn't going to finish it.
^^^^^^^^^ This. ^^^^^^^^^^^

If I honestly thought it was going to cost me $100K I wouldn't have started it, nor would I finish it now. I suppose I could spend that, but I won't, not even close.

You wanta go fast?

How much money ya got?

Speed is money, the more you have the faster you can go.

^^^^^^^^^ This. ^^^^^^^^^^^

If I honestly thought it was going to cost me $100K I wouldn't have started it, nor would I finish it now. I suppose I could spend that, but I won't, not even close.

Mine ended up being somewhere around a hundred as well.

I knew it would be. It took me ten years. At ten grand per year, it's a bargain!

;) CJ

Joe,
I spent around 82K and that was having an engine built up with Dual Dynons a single com, ADS-B, Where some folks spend a lot of money is in the paint department, I primed my aircraft and had a local automotive buddy paint it in his shop. This saved Thousands.

When it is all done and I finally make it a full IFR compliant plane I will have nearly 93K in it. I will be adding a GTN 650 and an audio panel this fall into next year.

When you consider that if you want an aircraft that is fast, do your cross country trips and not take all week, you can do some acrobatics, it looks great there is nothing out there that will give you any more bang for the buck with out spending over 200,000. for a new aircraft.
This is just my opinion.

Smilin Jack

i bought used un started tail and wing kits. rest of kits straight from vans. new io360 $18700. new fp prop. painted my own. used steam gauges, used avionics used gps
$52,000.

i bought used un started tail and wing kits. rest of kits straight from vans. new io360 $18700. new fp prop. painted my own. used steam gauges, used avionics used gps
$52,000.

Sir, that is a fine lookin airplane!

If you buy a partially completed project, try to get one that is set up the way you want it. I spent considerable amount of money converting mine to a taildragger and buying missing parts. I tried to do an inventory before I started but being a new builder, I missed a few things! I did get a good deal so I'm still alright. My splurges was:

Classic Areo interior and seats 5K
Dual Dynon Skyview w/AP and wiring 20K Night VFR
New Hartzell CS prop and prop gov 8.8K
Used IO 360 12K

It seems that Aircraft Spruce has been the largest benefactor in my miscalculations but I could probably build another plane now for much less since I have bought a lot of tools and hardware.

I will paint myself and I'm struggling to keep it under 80K

I think you are starting out well in your journey. If cost is important to you, and it is to 99%+ of us, the way to build (in my opinion) is to plan what you want the thing to do, decide content based on the things that will achieve the goal, then don't be tempted to deviate from the plan. Where things start going sideways is when you start to buy bits and think, since I saved some on that, I can spend a little more on this. All those little bits add up. The other thing that can get you is when people say you gotta do this or that and you listen to them instead of doing what will get you closer to your mission, not theirs. Bottom line is I am sure there are people who have spent $120K on a two seat RV, but there is also one post on this thread of a $52K RV. Also, we have an RV'er on here who is getting huge value and use out of his plane and I am quite sure that Vlad did not spend $110k on his plane (he can correct me if I am wrong). My research shows (I am early in my build) that $70K will get you a very nice plane and it can be done for less. Spending more is always easy.

Tim

Cost

I just finished my 7A. I have about 70K in it without paint. I have a guy that is going to do that for me for about 5k. I bought a good used engine, have the dynon package with auto pilot, HS34 to integrate with an ifr gps/com, transponder, audio panel, intercom and I have heated pitot and secondary standard Gage's as backup to the pretty lighted stuff. This Included to pitot systems. I have custom seats from classic aero too. So, I spent $ on some new stuff and also used some good used stuff. It'll come in at about 74k total.
I have some other options as well but you can see you can build a very nice ifr plane if you plan well.
Good luck
Mike

posting costs

Just finished my -9A and have all the receipts. Been contemplating adding them all up on a spreadsheet and making it available here. ?. I'm kind if wondering if anyone would be offended by being so transparent on a open forum like this. Maybe I could just email it to people. :

I remember seeing some costs on the this website (http://www.vansairforce.net/articles.htm) and thinking they were outdated, so I do not think anybody would be offended showing recent costs. I would suggest adding a date so the cost can be escalated in the future. I remember one article when fuel was below $2.00 a gallon, so you knew that was an old one, :D

When I was first talking to someone they said I should just go buy one because in todays market it was cheaper. I told them that the point was, I wanted to build one some day. :)

Oh Nooooooooooooooo

One hundred grand to build one of these things is way off the mark told me when I started!

So far I have spent 23K Cdn on QB fuse, Empennage, Slobuild wings.
Spent another 4500K on 0-320 B2C engine out of R22

Expected expense are:
Finish kit = 5000K
EFIS panel with Auto from Dynon = 7500K
Assorted sundries = 4000K
Paint job = 6000K ( I might paint myself for 2000K)

So airborne first flight expected at $50,000.00 Cdn.

Alot of the expense comes from the mission profile of the aircraft and what you think you need in it to make it worthy. For instance I fly by feel and think that these upcoming AOA devices are not necessary, others wont fly without them....etc, etc, etc.

My advice though outside of finances is to not start unless you are into MANY MANY hours of work on this project and that it will be YEARS before you are done! The kit is ok and so much better than the first ones done but the instruction manual can be confusing and if it werent for this forum I dont know what I would do. For and instance I wanted a heated Pitot and found one, well Vans when asked about installation said " why would you want one of those" and offered no assistance as to how to put one in. So you are on your own building this plane often, and yes Vans has helped in other instances, just an example that I used.

Here in Canada help is very difficult if not impossible in the West, I live in Alberta but I do find it here and there and THAT is immeasurable in getting the project done.

My two bits here, I am looking to wear the RV Grin next spring and it is looking good so far , good luck in your research and decision!:eek:

Dave...I'll make the drive out to Edson in hopes that picking your brain will save me huge $$$

P.S dont forget that a Canadian build will cost at least an extra $10,000 in Canadian shipping charges by the time the plane is done

Last edited:
Not to mention the conversion on the Loonie!

Yeah then there is that terrible 88-cents US for the Loonie. Arrg!

I hope things get back to parity before I build an RV.

Dave I'd be willing to lend a second set of hands too. I'd love to get some real world RV building experience. I also know a guy in Edson who is looking to build a Zeinith in the future. He would probably be interested in seeing what you are up to. He is also a mechanical whiz.

$52,000.

You sir are the man! There is ABSOLUTLEY no reason to spend $100k unless you love the latest and greatest. I have seen some beautiful full decked out airplanes that I'm sure cost that much however what I'm interested in is the following question

What can you build an RV7 for? and not HOW MUCH can you spend building an RV7

$52k is awesome! i applaud you! Not all of us can afford a $100k airplane however most of us can afford a $50-60k airplane
Well done sir!

Goal

Try 30k. 25k if you are real good. 15k for a unfinished kit, 6k - 8k for a run out but running motor, 5k for used avionics, and 2k for other stuff. It can be done, but most folks like to see how much they can spend. The best deal is just have 50k ready and buy a used one.

Would you rather spend 2-4 years building or are you the type that prefers to fly now?

Plenty of money

Costs plenty of money but more than that is the time! I started mine in earnest about six years ago and now have the wings, fuse, and empennage well along and some built enitirely. The fuse is a Qbuilt and cost about 5000 dollars more being a QB.

Canadian dollars were equal for the first part and I have spent about 35000 on the plane so far with about 15000 dollars left to go to get it to the tarmac naked.

I think the paint job and incidentals will bring my total cost to about 58,000 dollars Canadian and that is with a lucky purchase of a O-320 B2C at 4500 dollars running with 300 hours left on it.

The money is one thing but the time, frustration, constantly groping in the dark for instructions etc, is the BIGGEST consideration. Money is needed in chunks of thousands at times and can be handled mostly, but, that TIME! time is critical!

Good luck... i understand they fly well and hopefully I will have that grin by winter 2015 :D:D

Here in Brazil due taxes, fees and freight it cost me
150.000 dolars, my country has a biggest tax in the world
About everything, a economic car here like a kia Rio costs more than 25.000 dolars being almost 50% are taxes, but the money goes for support corruption
Even though all taxes are paid when you walk to customs they ask you a little more under the table to free your cargo faster😡

The fastest and cheapest is to buy a flying RV- . However, you do not get the pleasure of building the way you want. Since you build as you want, the price certainly double of what you "can" buy for. The builder process fascinates me :)

The one surprise for me was how much money I spent on buying specialty tools.

Once I had all the metal working tools I thought I would ever need, I had to start buying flairing tools, crimping tools, engine cylinder wrenches, you name it.

The good thing to buying all these tools is that I can perform any maintenance I need without borrowing a tool from someone across town. The down side, they add cost!

I am debating standard fuselage vs quickbuild.
What is the estimated time to build the standard fuselage to the quickbuild stage ?

The one surprise for me was how much money I spent on buying specialty tools.

Once I had all the metal working tools I thought I would ever need, I had to start buying flairing tools, crimping tools, engine cylinder wrenches, you name it.

The good thing to buying all these tools is that I can perform any maintenance I need without borrowing a tool from someone across town. The down side, they add cost!

One hard, painful lesson for me while building Dad's -6 was that it's usually just cheaper to go ahead and buy the right tool instead of trying to improvise. Sometimes you can make a special tool (e.g. buy a Harbor Freight crescent wrench, heat it with a torch, bend it, and quench) for certain one-off places, but trying to just use what you have and "make it work" just isn't worth it from a time and money perspective--you spend a whole lot more time, expend a lot more frustration, and sometimes wind up breaking the tool or the part you're working on, and having to replace it.

I am debating standard fuselage vs quickbuild.
What is the estimated time to build the standard fuselage to the quickbuild stage ?

For the six, it figured out that you were paying about $8 per hour in labor for the quick build work.

But, it was not pre-punched. And the six did not come with the detailed instructions that the 7 has.

IF Van's sells you a part, (heated pitot) you can expect him to explain how to install it. IF he didn't sell it to you..... don't expect them to show you how to install it.

Regarding slow versus quick build. I am working through a slow build - 6 fuselage kit. I work three, four hours a day, for usually two days a week. I am nearing quick build stage after about 7 months. Keep in mind that is drilling my own holes, a pre punch kit would go faster. I would use the 5000.00 QB upgrade on something else, I am enjoying building the fuselage at my pace.

Back