What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Options for electric aileron trim components

aeroaddict

Well Known Member
I would like to add electric aileron trim but do not like the set up offered by Van's. No offense, but I think the tab on the trailing edge of the aileron is not pretty.

I've searched and have learned that most AP servos are just for AP. So how can I set up an electric aileron trim and not have to ugly up the plane?

Trim

I would like to add electric aileron trim but do not like the set up offered by Van's. No offense, but I think the tab on the trailing edge of the aileron is not pretty.

I've searched and have learned that most AP servos are just for AP. So how can I set up an electric aileron trim and not have to ugly up the plane?

Vans aileron trim uses a spring and servo system. There is no trim tab on the aileron.
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1345666001-296-687&browse=airframe&product=ea-kit
Several builder have done the tab because they don't like the spring system.

Last edited:
I think that is correct. Springs and a lever. Depends highly on the friction setting of the knob. I just took all of mine out. Not missing it.
You might rig a small stepper motor and appropriate controller to substitute for your hand... and put pressure on the springs. I suspect you would be fiddling with it all the time though...
Others will chime in with elegant solutions pretty soon. I look forward to the innovative thinking on this forum... every single day.

It looks like Van's offers both systems?trim tab and internal. My build has the internal manual friction lock. The adjuster has an extra lever arm, so manual operation can easily be converted to electric by adding a Ray Allen trim servo and pushrod.

Got it!

Ok, I see it now. I guess I missed the internal option that uses the springs and friction knob. Saved by VAF again!

Electric aileron trim

I installed the electric servo and springs under the floor pans and it connects to the linkage there. It is pretty simple with servo and springs. I just started flying my plane six days ago and it flys hands off wherever I put the stick. I may have gotten lucky and really nailed the rigging. I'm sure the trim would help if it ever becomes a balance issue say with one full tank and the other empty etc. but for now, at least my 7a doesn't feel like it needs the trim at all. However, I have flown another rv that had a manual trim lever In The cockpit instead of electric servo and this particular plane needed it. I think either system will serve well if you end up needing it. Good luck.
Mike
Rv7a
2.9hrs
N771MK

Back