What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snout on a horizontal Induction

MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I have a IO-360 horizontal induction set up on my 7. I also have a cowl with a snout on it. What should I do with the snout, plug it? How will it affect my cooling if I leave it open? I could cut it off and reglass it smooth but I have grown to like the snout on an RV. Thanks in advance for the help.

I've been wondering about this kind of thing... is there anywhere that spells out what engine/induction fits with what cowl (and why other combinations don't work)? It seems to me a guy could duct the snout to a horizontal intake, but maybe not. I'm confused. Maybe I'm the only one.

Use your noggin. The Vans supplied snouted cowls are all made for vertical induction whether it is carb or a vertical injector. They all mount to the bottom of the oil pan and stick down 4 or 5 inches and then have a FAB filter on the bottom. The horizontal injectors stick out the front of the oil pan.

Therefore, there will be a considerable elevation difference between the horizontal injector inlet and the standard snout.

Of course, its just a fabrication job to make it work. I could imagine a flat filter on top of an inlet plenum with another plenum going to the injector. Custom of course.

What should I do with the snout, plug it? How will it affect my cooling if I leave it open?

It will raise lower cowl pressure, reducing pressure drop across the cylinder fins, thus reducing cooling capacity. Not good.

Therefore, there will be a considerable elevation difference between the horizontal injector inlet and the standard snout.
It looks to me like there would also be a considerable difference in elevation between the horizontal FI and the normal non-snout inlet, plus the horizontal offset as well. I've seen a few pictures of the twisty little plenum between the regular inlet and the horizontal FI servo... it just seemed like a straighter route might do just as well. I'm handicapped by not having any diagrams on hand that show a FI setup, nor access to any un-cowled FI RVs to see how it all goes together. It looks, though, like inlet of the FI servo might just be too far forward for the snorkel to work.

I have a IO-360 horizontal induction set up on my 7. I also have a cowl with a snout on it. What should I do with the snout, plug it? How will it affect my cooling if I leave it open? I could cut it off and reglass it smooth but I have grown to like the snout on an RV. Thanks in advance for the help.

You will really have to think way ahead about this. I have the IO360 M1B as well and have both the Vans and SJ cowls. I have fitted the SJ. Since the axis of the carb and injected inlets are different, I cut off the carb part and bonded on the IO snout all the way back to the air exit. Now, I am wondering how I am going to fit a low pressure drop air filter and an aux bypass. I don't like wondering this close to the finish line. I don't mind going the custom route but really don't think a flat plate filter will fit.

You might consider the standard Vans method for air induction as it has a larger air filter. Before you just cut off the snout, though ( I like them too) ask Vans about the geometry of the snout less cowl, you just never know what has changed from one part to the next.

If you keep the snout, please post what you end up with for an air filter system, and alternate air (filter bypass). If it is a custom approach, the vertical offset between the inlet and servo should not be an issue. Take a look at DanH's custom air box. It will probably fit in the Vans carb cowl.

Good Luck.

My snorkle and horizontal induction is a done deal and is in place. I am finishing the baffles. It just hit me a few days ago about what to do with the snout. I wonder if I cut it off and went smooth, would it reduce any drag?

My snorkle and horizontal induction is a done deal and is in place. I am finishing the baffles. It just hit me a few days ago about what to do with the snout. I wonder if I cut it off and went smooth, would it reduce any drag?

If that's the case then there's no choice but a nice bloodshot eyeball peeking out of the hole. :)

Well I have always wanted a paintball gun on my Kolb so I could shoot up the water tower here in town! I guess the snout would be a good place to mount one on a RV! .......Seriously, I guess I'll just plug it.

Rearward Facing Horizontal Induction

The Ron Bower Horizontal Ram feature is pretty interesting.

This discussion brought up a question yesterday in the build hanger. Has anyone used a rearward facing horizontal induction on their RV's? This was found on a Swift with the air intake and filter box mounted on the side of the cowl.

Back