What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron skins

wirejock

Well Known Member
Question
I just started cutting stiffeners for the ailerons. Looking at the plans and the skins, I can't tell if the skins have a top or bottom. Are the symmetrical? I know other parts have a top and bottom such as the spars and ribs but for the life of me I can't tell if the aileron skins have a top or bottom.

Yes, they do. The lower side has an extra hole on the line of holes that meets with the spar. It's noted on the plans too, I think.

Different rivet sizes

Hey Larry,

I believe the top skins take 426 rivets to attach the skin to the spar, while the bottom takes CS4-4 to the spar. I would think this would show up as #40 and #30 holes in the skins and spar respectively, unless the directions have you match drill the larger size. Also, the extra hole in the middle of the forward row.

Good luck!

Skins

Awesome. You guys rock. I must be tired. I will look them over again using your info. Thanks

Hey Larry,

I believe the top skins take 426 rivets to attach the skin to the spar, while the bottom takes CS4-4 to the spar. I would think this would show up as #40 and #30 holes in the skins and spar respectively, unless the directions have you match drill the larger size. Also, the extra hole in the middle of the forward row.

Good luck!

The pre-punched pilot holes on both top and bottom are 3/32, and the bottom ones are up-sized to #30 by the builder. I just did that part on Sunday and read the manual and prints several times just to make sure I was reading it right.

Back