What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dsub contacts & 18 gauge wire

thompsonbr87

Well Known Member
I'm installing a 430W, and the installation manual calls for 18 awg wire for the power/ground in the P4002 connector. The interconnect drawing has this note from figure H-5:

2s92bsm.jpg

My connector kit apparently did not include this special contact. I can't find anything by that Garmin p/n. Any idea where I can get these? I found some on Digikey and Mouser that I think would work. But the language of the note seems to indication that this contact is deeper than standard. So would I need a new positioner for my dsub crimper?

I'm installing a 430W, and the installation manual calls for 18 awg wire for the power/ground in the P4002 connector. The interconnect drawing has this note from figure H-5:

2s92bsm.jpg

My connector kit apparently did not include this special contact. I can't find anything by that Garmin p/n. Any idea where I can get these? I found some on Digikey and Mouser that I think would work. But the language of the note seems to indication that this contact is deeper than standard. So would I need a new positioner for my dsub crimper?

Hello Barrett,

As you know, the power and ground inputs on the P4002 (COM radio) connector on the 430W use 2 pins each for power and ground.

We realize the note in the 430W manual indicates that the standard 336-00022-00 size 20 socket contacts are limited to 22 AWG wire, but I pulled the spec sheet on these contacts, and it confirmed that 20 AWG wire is also supported. It is a tight fit and all strands have to be laying flat, but it does work and I have done it many times.

We routinely use 20 AWG wire in the 336-00022-00 and 336-00022-02 (newer) contacts when needed. For example the 10W GTR 200 COM radio has single power/ground pins and a 7.5A circuit breaker (14 Vdc aircraft), and we specify 20 AWG power/ground wiring for that radio.

In contrast, the 430W specifies a 10A circuit breaker, and uses dual power/ground pins each.

I would run 18 AWG power and ground wires to the P4002 connector as specified in the 430W installation manual for 14Vdc installations, and then use short sections of 20 AWG wire into standard density socket contacts to connect the 18 AWG feed into the 2 pins as needed. This approach is much cleaner/simpler than using the contacts with oversize receptacles.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Back