What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Second Canopy Open Latch

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
I?m installing a second canopy latch to hold it open during taxi and run up to get some air in the RV-8 in addition to the canopy latch already installed that holds it halfway open so I can close it when I fly alone without having to break my back twisting all the way back there.

How far open can the canopy be without damaging it or anything else while I do the engine run-up before take off?

Some say 6" some say 12", just want to be sure from those who have it installed and use their canopy open during run-ups. Thanks.

I have two canopy stops. One about halfway for when I?m solo and one about 4? from the closed position for run up and while parked for short periods.

I have two canopy stops. One about halfway for when I?m solo and one about 4? from the closed position for run up and while parked for short periods.

Cool, thanks ! How did you come up with the 4"? Trial and error, recommendation from someone else who opened it more and it messed up his canopy, etc?

I ask because if I can leave it open 6" or 8" or 12" for example, that should give me more air than 4" and I don't want to limit myself unnecessarily.

I have a ~3" stop and a halfway stop. The 3" stop is fine for run-ups.

I have done run-ups at the halfway stop but the canopy rattles around a lot and has occasionally slid right back making it hard to reach while belted in.

I worry a little about the rear plastic mount letting go at the halfway stop so no longer use it for run-up...

Just my 2 cents worth, I've got two positions on my 8. First one is maybe 12 to 15 inches back, so as you say, one can "reach" it. The other is only about one inch, just to get some fresh air when taxing during winter, ie, when its cold out there. For run up, I completely close it---rattles and shakes too much.

Back