What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Tracks Canopy spine?

dreed

Well Known Member
Hey All, installed the supertracks canopy kit- it is awesome!

Wondering if the RV8 canopy spine is longer so I can go to a one piece of extrusion vs the the two piece that it has now. Looks fine, but I think a solid piece would look a little better.

Thanks!
dan

Canopy track

Wondering if the RV8 canopy spine is longer so I can go to a one piece of extrusion vs the the two piece that it has now. Looks fine, but I think a solid piece would look a little better.

Thanks!
dan

Yes, but the forward end of the spacer is not as long after the bend.
I fabricated a track and spacer from stock purchased from Vans.

Edit
The F762/F763. I ordered AB6250X500X48 and AS3063X1X48 to fabricate a longer Canopy Slide Rail.

Last edited:
Even though it?s not installed yet, that?s what I?m doing on my -7 build. Give Blake a call and he can tell you exactly what part numbers you need.

Spacer

So i bought an rv8 spine for my 9a with supertracks.

Are you saying that wont work?

I think you can make it work. The RV8 spacer forward end is a bit shorter than the 7. Not sure about the 9. The track is a flat piece you bend to match. Basically there will be a short section of track, where the all thread attaches, with no spacer support. I will post a photo of the two.
Here's a photo with C-805 beside my 7 slider track. It's about 1-1/2" shorter than the 7 spacer.
aTA0HSKm.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the Supertracks on my-7 during the build. Blake suggested deleting the track extension from the Flyboys kit and ordering the longer -8 track from Van's. This worked great, however you will need to change the bend radius on the forward part of the -8 track to match that of the -7. Use the -7 track as a template for the bend. I also notched the sides of the top skin to allow the canopy to slide back a little further on the tracks.
Supertracks is a must have mod for any slider!

Thanks!
dan

Dan, et al.

It is possible to replace your track with a one-piece track, as others have mentioned.

However, before you do that, please consider that it adds a fair bit of work if you've got a flying aircraft. You'll have to crawl inside the tailcone, get a helper, re-adjust the bend in the track to match your existing canopy, etc.

For some, it's all worth it for perfection. I totally get that.

For others, it's simply easier if someone is looking at your Supertracks installation, and says "My, my, you've got a tiny, almost invisible joint near the back of your spine track" to just whack them upside the head with a Nerf noodle. (I'm trying to be nice. ;))

My point to this, hopefully funny, story is that you can do either. Both techniques will work just fine. It's just that replacing the track on a flying plane is a bit of a pain.

Now, if you're still building and haven't installed the canopy, well, heck yeah, just install a longer, one-piece track and keep rocking.

YMMV!

Thanks Vince! I have an almost flying aircraft, and already purchased and installed the Super Tracks (and love it already). I was just thinking it would look a little better than it already does, and I was going to polish it all prior to paint so thought now would be the time

I'll ponder this a bit...

Yep...

Yes, you can use the RV-8 track as many have pointed out, and as Vince mentioned, this is something I generally only recommend doing if you're still in the building phase and haven't already installed your spine track.

I believe the parts you need from Van's are below (pricing may be a bit out of date)
C-805 CANOPY SLIDE SPACER $13.50
AS3-063X1X48 AL STRIP $5.40

You will also need to reprofile the curve at the front end of the track... or just cut the curve off of the RV-8 and make the whole track that you need from the straight portion that's left over. Shoot for an overall length that is approximately 10 inches longer than the stock RV-6/7/9 slider track and you should be in good shape.

If you want to go this route, you can use the coupon code 8TRACK on our site at checkout, which tells us that we don't need to include the spine track extension, and knocks $10 off the Supertracks price. NOTE: only do this if you're doing the alternative installation method described in this thread, or you'll be missing important parts.

EDIT: Kits are back in stock now. Thanks to all who have purchased a kit already for keeping our machine shop busy and keeping our dogs fed!

Last edited:
Back