What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric pitch trim on RV-3: Do you like it?

KatieB

Well Known Member
I was going to keep it simple and stay with manual pitch trim in the -3, but as I work out where I want the throttle and mixture controls, I'm starting to wonder about whether or not the standard manual trim lever down on the left side will be in the way. Plus, I've been avoiding drilling the big hole in the HS spar for the Bowden cable for... oh... 6 years now. :eek:

This will be an O-320 powered plane with a wood prop, so it's not the lightest RV-3 up front, but not the heaviest either. I'm used to manual trim in the airplanes I fly now, but I liked having the trim switch on the stick in the Diamonds and Lightnings I used to fly. Some people have said electric trim in RV's is too sensitive. So I thought I'd ask you guys who fly RV-3s, what do you think?

Katie,
My trim is manual on the left side and is not in the way at all. Electric would work too but be sure you can slow it down, trim is very, very sensitive and my cg is still a little fwd of where I like it. If you go manual, suggest you make the lever so a lot of movement with your hand produces little throw at the tab. You will still need full up trim in the pattern.
Bill

Manual trim lever

Katie,
I have the manual trim lever beside the throttle and the mixture is a cable knob on the left fuse bulk head. The throttle is the taller of of a Vans 2 lever arrangement. I love the way I can work both the throttle and trim simultaneously with my left hand to estabilish level flight at the desired power and speed. It is just finger tip massaging the levers . Similarly, slowing down for downwind setup, flaps and final is again, just wiggling the levers with your finger tips in harmony.

Katie already knows my thoughts on this, but I figure I'd put it out there for the archives. I like the electric trim becasue it is actually lighter than running the big cable that Van's supplies. And I find that with the servo on the aft deck and a short Bowden cable to the trim tab, the trim is actually quite slow (compared to our RV-6 and RV-8) - there are times when I wish it were a little faster, like when trimming full up for landing.

You mean like pulling a mechanical trim lever full aft? :)

Tony

Yup - that's very fast!

My comment was becaue Katie mentioned she thought the electric trim was too sensitive, and I wanted to point out that it is actually pretty slow.

My RV-3B has the very large vernier manual trim cable that for all purposes looks like a thick boat bowden cable. With a big-assed black knob with notches. I find it very functional and ergonomic.

However. Should you elect to install a modern autopilot like the Garmin GSA 28 servos coupled to a G5 the system can integrate with an electric trim providing autotrim. With the manual trim the pilot must maintain trim via prompter. Not really a big deal but if you feel an autopilot is in the works you can take advantage of autotrim if you go with electric trim.

Jim Ivey

My RV-3 had electric trim installed when I bought it. I found myself constantly fiddling with the trim during cruise because it was so sensitive. I solved the problem by adding a speed controller coupled to a microswitch on the flap linkage, which gives me less sensitive trim during cruise, and more sensitive at slow speeds after pulling in some flaps. It works well now.

Electric trim

My RV-3 has electric trim and as others have said, I love it. I have fixed pitch prop, and friction throttle and mixture at the left knee. The rocker switch is right above the throttle on the bottom of the panel so as I am making power changes, I can just lift my index finger and adjust trim as needed...without taking my hand off the throttle. This works really nicely for landings, fewer things to manage and keeps my right hand and fingers free to key the mic if ATC is talking.
I would strongly recommend this kind of set up because of weight as well. In an RV-3, full autopilot is almost unthinkable for me....I would not want the extra weight, and I love flying it. Its not so comfortable on long trips anyway, so why not just set down somewhere new, stretch the legs, grab a cup of coffee, and then off to the next stop. Always a new adventure.

Cheers
Dave Cronwall
N66GB
Palo Alto, CA

Back