What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aero Sport Power

RedBird

I'm New Here
I have a few questions for those whom have bought an engine from Aero Sport in the last six months or so. As you know, Bart left last spring and I was wondering if the place was running just fine and I guess its too early to know if they?ll continue to build great engines. Any feedback on their engines would be appreciated. Also, those add-ons! Dual EFii-EIGN ignition and port and flow matched cylinders ? are they worth the investment. I?ve read some of the stuff on the ignition website and the power increase claims are substantial. Is there any meat to it? Is the Efii the same as the old P-Mag? I?m not sure what the difference is.
Also, fuel boost pump, Andair or EFii? How about alternator, Plane Power or B&C? And how about prop governor, some people suggest a MT governor even if you install a Vans Hartzell blend two blade prop.
So many decisions. Any recommendation or comment would be greatly appreciated.
OR, would you just not bother with Aero Sport anymore.

I had a very positive experience last week. I called Aero Sport for the first time needing help after my engine purchase a little over a year ago. It was a minor problem. I called and someone answered and said Rob would call me right back. He did almost immediately and talked me though my options and was willing to do anything I wanted. He followed up with me to make sure everything went ok and I also received an email from Doug Hamerton checking that it was resolved. Hopefully it will be my only call with a problem but it was sure handled professionally and fast.

Welcome to VAF. Lots of questions.

My hangar neighbor just received his IO-540 back from total overhaul by Aerosport. It looks amazing and he says the guys at Aerosport were excellent to work with. He spent quite a bit of time there watching them complete it and do the test run. I had wanted to do the same a few years back but was told they don't really do that.

Bevan

Last edited:
I bought a Superior IO-320 (built by Superior) from Aero Sport Power in September this year. Also talked with the new owners Rob Wharf General Manager, Todd Collins CEO/CFO and Doug Hamerton PRM. Found them all good to deal with.

I substituted Bendix rebuilt mags (done in their shop) for the Slick mags and added B&C L60 (belt driven) and BC410-H (rear pad driven from what was the vacuum pump pad) alternators. I'll be buying the Hartzell prop governor from Vans with the firewall forward kit.

I'm using a Weldon 18000-A fuel boost pump.

How much is it for those dual EFii setups? I've been thinking about that in my plan. Wrapping my mind around how to wire it so that the second computer is truly redundant is a challenge. Not sure I like/want their bus manager setup

EFii

How much is it for those dual EFii setups? I've been thinking about that in my plan. Wrapping my mind around how to wire it so that the second computer is truly redundant is a challenge. Not sure I like/want their bus manager setup

We started selling the Efii systems this summer at Titan and I have installed on both my Rv8 and NXT Nemesis. The systems works as advertised and if you could see how smooth the engines run side by side like we do on our dyno you would be hard pressed to go back.

If you call me tomorrow I can give you a few recent customers that have bought Titan engines with EFii.

210-820-8142 direct line.

Aero Sport Power - Still Committed to Serving Customers

Hey Redbird....thanks for your interest and good questions.

A quick clarification, Bart retired from Aero Sport Power almost 3 years ago. We’ve been focused on quietly building high quality engines over that time. We still have our same group of 8 master builders and assemblers in our shops--many with decades and thousands of engines worth of experience.

Our President, Rob Wharf, happens to be in Edmonton/Calgary this week, and could either contact you by telephone or meet with you in person to answer any questions you might have, including any questions pertaining to the electronic ignition systems, including EFii, P-Mag or Light Speed as we are distributors for all three.

It is sometimes a challenge to answer all questions over a discussion forum. We’d be happy to have one of our experienced staff give you a call to walk you through all your options and considerations for the: fuel boost pump, alternator, and prop governor.

Todd Collins
CEO

Last edited by a moderator:
Past experience: I built two RVs (check my sig), both with Aero Sport Power engines, and had a good experience all the way around both times. That was back when Bart and Sue were there.

Current experience: ASP has been the assembler of the CC340 in our Carbon Cub up through s/n 293 and continue to be the assembler of the CC340 for our kit customers. Rob and Todd have demonstrated the commitment and competence to win our confidence, their support is superlative. Bottom line, they "get it".

To those who are interested HERE is info on the current ownership and management. Rob and Todd have a vested interest in happy customers, and that means a quality product and superlative support.

Confused?

Aerosport does not list a 540 engine option which is why I didn't contact them for a quote. Do they really do a 540, or is it only an overhaul with a core, or what?

Aerosport does not list a 540 engine option which is why I didn't contact them for a quote. Do they really do a 540, or is it only an overhaul with a core, or what?

I think I got one of the last ASP IO-540 engines. Lycoming increased its parts pricing to assemblers when it decided to sell completed engines more competitively to the E-AB community.

This made it financially non viable for ASP to continue selling new IO-540s. The big ticket item was the crank, which is sole sourced by Lycoming.

4-cylinder engines have multiple parts suppliers in competition so there is still a viable business there. The IO-375, for example is reportedly a great engine at a good price.

Aerosport Power is top notch! I've had great luck with all of the staff there. Bart, Sue, Rob, and Todd have all been wonderful to work with and the support has been superb. Their engines are some of the best out there. I'd order another one tomorrow if I had something to bolt it to...;)

Aero Sport Power does sell 540 engines

Hi All,

Aero Sport Power does sell 540 engines and provides customization for builders that want specific components or accessories for their 540 engines, such as an electronic ignition, a high fuel flow servo, different compression pistons, a special sump or an air plenum.

However, Vern is right when it comes to the NEW 540 engines direct from Lycoming. Vans have a great price point for these new 540 engines (roller lifters). Although we can sell new Lycoming engines to RV customers, we direct customers that want to buy new 540 engines back to Vans.

Currently, we source out quality used core 540 engines from around North America, which we put through a series of examinations (visual and dimensional) and NDT testing before we will sell to a customer. This is the same process that we use for assessing 540 cores for Certified Aviation use in our certified shop.

All of our 540 overhauled engines are still built with the same care and attention that we put into our four cylinder builds. The only difference is that we are using used 540 cores, sourcing out the best components (cylinders, gears, camshafts, etc.,) through our partners at Lycoming, Superior, and ECI, and adding in the specific accessories that each of our clients want for their customized 540 engine.

I hope this helps to clarifies things; call me directly if you need more information.

Regards,

Gerard Poitras
Manager of Sales and Business Development

Our President, Rob Wharf, happens to be in Edmonton/Calgary this week, and could either contact you by telephone or meet with you in person to answer any questions you might have, including any questions pertaining to the electronic ignition systems, including EFii, P-Mag or Light Speed as we are distributors for all three.

It is sometimes a challenge to answer all questions over a discussion forum. We?d be happy to have one of our experienced staff give you a call to walk you through all your options and considerations for the: fuel boost pump, alternator, and prop governor.

I love the USofA and Canada! You would NEVER get that level of service where I live!

Back