What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much $ it costs to build RV-12?

Waterobert

I am just wondering how much I should save up. I am more interested in building RV-3B however, RV-12 looks like more practical plane. Van's webpage cost estimator doesn't have RV-12. 😢

I just finished mine. I would budget $80,000. Parts came out to about $70,000 + tools + inspection + vinyl (paint).....

The Total Cost ?

Which price are you talking about, the real price or the one you will tell your wife.

you may want to add to that $80,000 figure a bit.
Add shipping, shop electric, clean up and protection materials, replacing parts, future kit price increases, tax you will pay at completion based on aircraft value, adhesive, plus things that I can't think of now.

Build the aircraft if you enjoy the building process, not to save money.
The RV12 is great aircraft for the first time builder, or any builder for that matter.
Building can be very rewarding

My view
Joe D

I'm building an RV-3B after carefully considering an RV-12. Man, these are different aircraft!

The construction time alone is so different that it's hard to convey.

Dave
RV-3B, building ailerons now

I just finished mine. I would budget $80,000. Parts came out to about $70,000 + tools + inspection + vinyl (paint).....
I also just finished mine. I installed the Dynon single display system. Included all the options (ADS-B, Autopilot, Lighting, etc.).
$79.6K Kits (includes shipping & $4.4K Florida Use Tax)
$1.6K Other parts (fiberglass, rattle can primer, fuel tank sealer, Loctite, Koger sunshade, control stick grips, etc.)
$3.3K Tools (Isham tool kit, Cleveland Main Squeeze, Scotchbrite, bench grinder, torque wrenches, material for two EAA workbenches, etc)
$0.4K Builder's Insurance (I didn't get this until I had the engine & avionics delivered)
$0.2K Truck rental and food for helpers to move home to airport

Does not include paint job ...

I have until the end of this year to make my choice. I like RV-3B for its speed but RV-12 looks like more practical plane to own. It uses less fuel but it is slow. Since RV-12 is more $, I will probably be building RV-3. I see myself flying solo 99% anyway.

The 12 isn't that much more money over time.

Don't forget to take into consideration the resale of both aircraft, and taking a friend out for a $100 hamburger.

The 12 isn't that much more money over time.

Joe D

I have until the end of this year to make my choice. I like RV-3B for its speed but RV-12 looks like more practical plane to own. It uses less fuel but it is slow. Since RV-12 is more $, I will probably be building RV-3. I see myself flying solo 99% anyway.

Last edited:
Back