What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is a non-suffix serial number

Nitty

Well Known Member
Relates to a CS prop AD that states the following:

"The FAA is superseding an existing airworthiness directive (AD) for Hartzell
Propeller Inc. ()HC-()2Y()-() series propellers with non-suffix serial number (SN) propeller hubs installed on Lycoming O-, IO-, LO-, and AEIO-360 series reciprocating engines.

What is meant by a non-suffix serial number? I'm presuming that something with a letter code (e.g. CH12345) is a suffixed number but I'm not that familiar with FAA speak.

SWAG

As the title says - I suspect that what the suffix refers to is what most call an A or B hub Hartzell. If it doesn't have the letter, I would think it is a non-suffix hub. This info is most likely worth exactly what you paid for it ....:)

As the title says - I suspect that what the suffix refers to is what most call an A or B hub Hartzell. If it doesn't have the letter, I would think it is a non-suffix hub. This info is most likely worth exactly what you paid for it ....:)

That's correct...e.g., if you have a hub w/ S/N CH12345B, for example, it's a "suffix" hub. CH12345 without the "B" is a non-suffix hub.

Back